ATM's 79 Camaro Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by ATM, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

Depends on the year of the heads, get casting numbers and we can check them

2. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll probably get enough cash for the block and rotating assembly and go and have a look at it, and the heads and make a solid determination then on the heads. He wants $400 for the heads, and I am thinking that I could just save a bit more and get some Sportsman II's or something like that.

3. Swanny454

Swanny454 Veteran Member

I have a brand new set pf Pro Comp Aluminums for $600, I was going to use them but decided to stay with my Worlds

4. ATM

It would probably be a couple months til I'm at the head stage with the funds. I would also like to get the block and see what it has in it, and TRY to determine the correct heads to get for what is there. I'd like to do things right the first time, I'm reading a ton of books on this, actually going on my second time around reading them.

Warm weather is coming, so is Overtime I hope. Rained out one day last weeks check, and one day this weeks check.

What are the specs on those heads? If you still have them you never know, I could use them.

5. ATM

Got me a new engine today. I'm hoping it is a good one, I will probably run it by a machine shop just to be sure, but it does have some good stuff in it, so either way it was worth it to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

010 block, not sure what the 38GM means, need to look that one up, along with the numbers on the front pad.

SCAT Cast Crankshaft 910442

SCAT 4340 Connecting Rods 35700P

Speed Pro ZL2256F Power Forged Pistons

ARP Main Studs

Lunati Voodoo 60103 Camshaft

Lunati 71817 Micro-Trol Hydraulic Lifters

Block was supposed to have been dipped and magnafluxed, and power bored, not sure what else. I've got a BBC oil pump coming, I need to get a SBC driveshaft for it so I can use it. I'm also going to need to find me a set of heads here soon. Something along the lines of 64cc should get 10:1 Compression Ratio if I have read things correctly. I'm interested in aluminum, 2.02 or bigger valves I think. I've got that Holley Street Dominator intake, and a 600 Holley, although I think a 750 would not be out of line. And I need a billet timing cover, and I'd like a oil pan with wings that holds more oil.

6. conrracing

conrracing Veteran Member

327 in a jeep for a first car? You are a brave man Steve! LOL Sounds like you have a good plan for your 350

7. ATM

Thanks, I would like to get some dial indicators and see EXACTLY what I have though, I'd like to really get a handle on determining what it takes to build a good motor the first time. Which is probably unrealistic.

As for the jeep, there is always this: "If she can't handle it, I'll take it back and get her a nice Buick Century." I would love to have a jeep to play with. ;)

8. SKIP WHITE

SKIP WHITE Member

Depending on the cam you have, you most likely will have to notch the pistons on top. Four valve relief pistons are not optimal for heads with 2.02 valves. We can tell you exactly where to do this. My son has the info for you. His name is Nathan 423-722-5152
    Skip W

9. SKIP WHITE

SKIP WHITE Member

I see now that you have the 103 cam. You will for sure need to notch the pistons. A very simple fix.

10. ATM

OK, I'll give a call later in the week. Hopefully I get off early sometime.