Attaching trunk drop off to trunk floor - panel bond?

Jeep43

Veteran Member
Mar 30, 1999
Connecticut
I am about to start attaching outer wheelhouses and trunk dropoffs to my 74. Wheelhouses seem straightforward. I'm going to plugweld those.

But the drop off flange where it connects to the trunk floor looks difficult to access with a mig torch. It seems the best way to get in there is to drill my plug holes in the drop off flange itself and fit the torch in thru the well as best as possible.

I don't have a spot welder. Could this be a place to try a Panel Bond adhesive like 3M? I can get in there with plenty of clamps. I would plug weld the rest of the drop off to the quarter and wheel house where access is available.

bodymanbill

Veteran Member
Feb 1, 2007
South Park Pa
Definitely a good place for structural adhesive just not a lot of room to work in there. Take both mounting surfaces to bare metal and coat it with the adhesive and clamp it , also will be a better corrosion protection since the whole area is sealed tight. Actually wish i would of glued mine when i did them.

Jeep43

Veteran Member
Mar 30, 1999
Connecticut
Definitely a good place for structural adhesive just not a lot of room to work in there. Take both mounting surfaces to bare metal and coat it with the adhesive and clamp it , also will be a better corrosion protection since the whole area is sealed tight. Actually wish i would of glued mine when i did them.

Good to hear. What is the recommended goop? 3M stuff?

Last edited:

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Not sure of how much structural support is supposed to come from those parts. Wouldn’t gluing it reduce that dramatically?

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
Bonding is common practice for places it's impossible to spot weld. The proper stuff is strong!

good to hear! I need to replace both of mine as well and was scratching my head on how I’m going to get enough access to weld it!

Jeep43

Veteran Member
Mar 30, 1999
Connecticut
Bill, would you use 108B on the drop offs and also where the quarter meets the rocker (that is a 100% blind area) too? This area, not my pic. I need a solution for that also.

upload_2021-3-30_18-46-54.png

I see fusor also offers a 2098 slow cure structural that is 2 part. Looks to fit a regular HD caulk gun. Would that be better suited? https://www.lord.com/products-and-s...2098-crash-durable-structural-adhesive-(slow)