Attaching trunk drop off to trunk floor - panel bond?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Mar 30, 2021.

1. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Yes im pretty sure i glued mine at the 1/4 to rocker seam, I haven’t used the 2098 but it will work just fine, looks to be just a slower cure.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

We did a lot of tests on Fusor 108B with the Fusor rep. Twisted and pulled it, beat it with a hand sledge, then put it on a frame machine and pulled it with 20 tons. Ripped the metal repeatedly, didn't touch the bonded metal. It stayed in tact. It's made by the Lord Corp, (recently acquired by Parker Hannifin) .who is big in aerospace, aircraft, and O.E auto manufacturing. In ways it's better than welding. It has the corrosion protection of epoxy, doesn't burn coatings off inner panels like welding does, and it is a continuous bond, one end to the other unlike a weld every so many inches.

3. biendog

biendog Veteran Member

Use panel bond alot,I think it is a lot cleaner,less chance of corrosion down the road,and very strong to boot.The very best way to install drop offs.

4. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I welded mine but yeah, you can use panel bond there.

5. Rustbucket350

Matter of fact I'm going to do some rocker patches on a personal vehicle of mine soon and yeah. I'm going to glue them in. Either JB weld or panel bond. Let me tell you a story. I got rear ended in a 92 s10 blazer that I cut the bumper apart, welded it into the quarters and cut the frame off to fit it like a roll pan. This thing was so rotted the roof had holes so I jb welded nickles (yep, coins) to the inside of the roof. I was going 65 in the left lane and got hit hard enough from behind it propelled me 200 feet with my foot on the brake. Those nickles got crushed with the vehicle. I saw it in the yard a week after I scrapped it. She hit me hard enough it blew the case of the 4160e apart and bent the frame.

6. Rustbucket350

BTW that home made roll pan never came apart and neither did the nickles I glued to the roof. The trans poured its guts out and still drove onto the trailer. It was done though. Cracked and unsalvageable.