Audio System Config

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by n00b, Apr 21, 2015.

1. n00b

n00b Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 1978 LT/RS. I currently have 2 6x9's in the rear deck. No speakers in the front. My rear deck also has the defroster...

1) for someone who likes bass and considering I need to keep some usuable trunk space open... what sounds better (2) 10" woofers or (1) 12" woofer? Sealed box or ported box?
    It seems like a single 12" could fit pretty easily but I don't know how deep the box would have to be. With two 10"s I am sure I would have to take the spare out.

2) with the 6x9's in the the deck, the subwoofer(s) in the trunk, what is the best location for speakers in the front to balance the sound? Somewhere it was mentioned that someone here makes custom boxes for speakers in the front. If anyone has these, do they work/sound better in the doors or the kick panels?

BTW the spare tire and jack take up a lot of space, do most of ya'll use a space saver tire or just remove it? this is a daily driver...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Spellbound

Spellbound Veteran Member

I just looked at a 12" basicly a cube that is 15", and I though it was to big for me. It would only fit where the depression is on the left side of the trunck - basicly taking up 1/2 or more of my trunk space.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  3. Rockhound

Rockhound Veteran Member

You'll get more bass out of 2 10's rather than 1 12. It's all about surface area, although you'll usually gain about 3db with a ported box. So, one ported 12 will usually be as loud as a pair of sealed 10's. If you're concerned about trunk space, then I'd go sealed as they don't require as much air space. Don't buy a prebuilt box either. Make your own. You can custom build it to fit where the "big ole square box" won't.

4. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I do installs, I mount the box using velcro. That way, if the spare is needed, the box can be moved.

And to answer 1 of your questions:
    "What sounds better" A sealed box will sound better generally speaking, but a ported box will be louder. I almost always go ported if the space is available.

Either 2 10's sealed, or 2 12"s sealed would be your best bet. If depth of the box is concerned, and you have to sacrifice a little bit of air space, polyfil will help.

Also, If you happen to need any equipment, I give a pretty good discount.

5. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

The subwoofer depends on the music you listen to, the ported box would be louder.

But a sealed box can be smaller in most cases and sounds better with rock and similar music to me. Plus there's no tricky calculations on a sealed box. Just put in the correct air space and enjoy it.

The location of the front speakers used to be the further you get them from your ears the equalized the distance becomes.

This is one of the reasons people put speakers in the kick panels versus the doors. It equalizes the path lengths better.

It's a matter of looks, preference and budget, if you have the flat door panels you can def put speakers there. The location of the hole location puts the speaker further back than I would like, but it's doable. You can look up some examples on this site, plenty have done it.

I'm the guy that sells the fiberglass speaker kicks to put them in that location. If you decide to go that route let me know and I will be glad to answer any questions you have. I'm not pushing to sell them, just wanted to make sure that you know that the option is there.

6. n00b

Thaks ya'll. This is the kind of info I needed!

7. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

The most important question is, what's your budget? I am the king of budget builds around my area. I have people I don't even know come up to me and say "I hear you know how to get by on the cheap. Any suggestions?" ;)

Always remember this rule; It doesn't have to be loud to sound good, and just because it is loud doesn't mean it sounds good. Sometimes people get too fixated on having it loud and forget what listening to music is supposed to be, and that's "enjoyable".

There's nothing wrong with loud, but loud music which doesn't sound good will only be enjoyable for a few minutes. A good sounding system which may not be as loud will be enjoyable for hours.

8. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1) for someone who likes bass and considering I need to keep some usuable trunk space open... what sounds better (2) 10" woofers or (1) 12" woofer? Sealed box or ported box? It seems like a single 12" could fit pretty easily but I don't know how deep the box would have to be. With two 10"s I am sure I would have to take the spare out.

2 10's will move more air than a single 12 can. BUT, you'll need a 2 channel amp vs a single channel for a single 12, or a bridgeable amp (mo money). Why even do a box? If you need space, use subs designed for free-air use (no box needed). Free-air subs are designed to work without the pressure a box makes. Makes installs much easier. Just use good trunk seal weather strippinig and if you really want to go al-out.seal up the open spaces between theback seat cushion and the trunk with some caulk and fiberboard. Your trunk has now become your box. I did dozens of cars like this and it worked well and saved big time and $.

2) with the 6x9's in the the deck, the subwoofer(s) in the trunk, what is the best location for speakers in the front to balance the sound? There IS no good place in a Camaro. A member here makes kickpanels to mount a 6 1/2". That's as good as you can get. Somewhere it was mentioned that someone here makes custom boxes for speakers in the front. If anyone has these, do they work/sound better in the doors or the kick panels? Door panels placement stiks. Fires the sound at your ankles. You want speakers placed at an equal distance from your head as possible. Kick panels work best as the pods are somewhat aimed at your head (as much as they can be). You will NEVER get as much sound up front as from the back..it's a matter of speaker cone area.

9. n00b

Great feedback. Ok so the kind of music I listen to varies... GREATLY. In my playlist I have everything from Slipknot to the Arctic Monkeys. I like old school rap and 80's rock Queen, The Scorpions and Van Halen (Roth only), 90's grunge and Skrillex... lol I would like it to sound good but not necessarily loud.... Crisp, deep bass that punches but does not overwhelm the rest of the music and vocals.

I know that just like horsepower = $, sound = $. I am doing quite a bit to my cars fuel system and suspension right now so I would like to stay under 1k on the stereo. I already have the stereo and JL Audio 6x9's in the rear deck.

So this is what I am thinking... kick panel speakers in front seem like the best solution. Now as far as the bass goes... I have heard a single, down firing, 12" sub that is under the back seat of a pickup and couldn't believe how great it sounded. Would something like that work in the trunk? Or would the free space subwoofer sound better? Also do most of ya'll relocate your battery to the trunk?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  10. n00b

Anyone happen to know what kit this is to add a double din???

[​IMG]