Audio System Config

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by n00b, Apr 21, 2015.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

it looks like a trim bezel from another vehicle cut down to fit in that spot

2. SAYROO

SAYROO Member

Slick dash! And your variety in music is almost as "eclectic" as mine.

What are you powering the 6x9's with as that head unit will under power them severely. I got some low profile 6-1/2" and stuck them in the door. Planning on my upholstery guy making a custom panel for the door bottom when i wrap up the interior. If you go with component fronts you will be MUCH happier with door speakers with the tweeter up high. Other option is the kick panels with coaxial 6-1/2" or something of that nature.

I have....JL c2 6x9 rear with JL c5 6-1/2 coaxial in front. JL 12W3 sealed with a JL xd 600/1 powering it. Here is the new bonus...

Sony MEX-XB100BT headunit which puts out 40 watts per channel RMS...yes, you read that right...RMS! Peak 100 watts per channel from a headunit. Therefore, no need for a 5 channel or two separate amps.

3. 75Camaro4x4

75Camaro4x4 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool, I haven't seen that reciever before. Thats quite a bit of power. My Pioneer 80PRS only does 14x4 rms, which is why I run a NVX 5-channel. Absolutely love both.

4. xten

xten Veteran Member

If you like punchy bass, go with the 10's. Why not go with the 6 1/2 " mid-bass in the doors or kick panels and 2 tweeters and capacitors or a crossover where the stock speaker goes in the center of the dash?

5. SAYROO

SAYROO Member

Lot's of options for the dash speaker but then you're stuck with piggy-backing them on a channel with other speakers or getting a bigger amp. If I were building a show car with a flipdown screen I would utilize the dash speaker location and build a dolby 5.1 system. But I have more sense than money... I digress

6. n00b

n00b Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah I like the double din mount. I was hoping someone might recognize what it is or how it was done.

Right Now I have the 6x9's running off of the deck and it is no where near as powerful as SAYROO's MEX-XB100BT...

Like I mentioned I've heard a single 12" in a down firing box under a crew cab back seat and it sounds good. Just don't know if that would sound as good in the trunk???

I did some measurin' this weekend. I want to keep as much usable trunk space as I can. If I leave the spare in there and do not relocate the battery to the trunk, I think a single 12 box will leave me the most space. Two 10's would probably be better but I haven't quite figured out how much space they will leave me yet.

7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Or, you can do a 12" woofer with a 15" passive radiator.

Or, a 10" woofer with a 12" passive radiator.

This could be done with a relatively thin box that spans the width of the package tray. Either in the trunk against the back of the rear seat or attached to the package tray itself.

Passive radiators used to be hard to do but, now there are calculators available on line to do the math for you. A passive radiator is how a tiny Sunfire home sub can produce so much bass.

8. n00b

n00b Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I looked at some videos of passive radiator woofers... looks like they move some serious air. I couldn't tell how they sounded but from the vibrating windows they looked loud.

9. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

10. Goodwrench1965

Goodwrench1965 Veteran Member

[​IMG]