Audio system installed; Pics!!

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by Shields, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Shields

Shields Veteran Member

Hey guys, so for the last 2 months I have been slaving away over getting a decent sound system in my car that I can hear over my exhaust, lol! Here are the pics! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is the system installed! Ive still got to make the bracket to house two 4" speakers in the dash, but that will be up in a couple weeks. Ive got nothing left to do for this system other than connect the 2 guage power wire to the battery.

Pics of the install:

Amp rack made of 3/4" mdf, amps are held off the rack by 3/4" and each have a 3" fan blowing cool air at the back of them, everything is fused/ soldered and shrink wrapped, the rack is then fastened to the trunk divider with a 9/16 bolt, I drilled another hole for another bolt but it wasn't so cosmetically pleasing, I carpeted over the hole for now but if this rack should ever start to get loose then ill use the second bolt.

[​IMG]

Hopefully standing them off the rack and giving them a fan will be adequate ventilation, it gets hot in BC!

[​IMG]

I tried to make the enclosures as cosmetically identical as I could, it didn't come out perfect, a man can only do so good on his first try with fiberglass. They are 7 layers thick, layed with a bunch of resin, stuffed with polyfill and they have a 3/4" mdf baffle, these enclosures have no resonance whatsoever

[​IMG]

I was sure to make the amp racks connections/terminal strips/distribution blocks accessible through the factory cutouts in the trunk divider should I ever need to replace a relay or add lights, etc etc etc
    [​IMG]

Big thanks to my girlfriend for only yelling at me a little bit every time I woke up at 8 and coming home 6 hours later covered In sawdust. I am excited to see how this thing sounds once I get the 4" speakers mounted up to the dash, ill keep you guys posted on more progress!

2. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

Not bad!

Just for the hell of it, try wiring one sub opposite of the other. It could help improve bass output.

3. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

looks good.

4. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

?

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The system looks pretty good. I'll bet it sounds pretty darn good as well!

6. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

I used to run a car audio shop a LOOOOOOOONG time ago. Sometimes when two subs are facing each other there can be a cancellation of frequencies. We found that by wiring one sub out of phase of the other you could bring back some bass response. It was on few occassions, but it did work. I don't recall what cars they were in, but IIRC it was because of a lower powered system.

7. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

One sub going out while the other is going in would cancel each other out, but it only takes a minute to try it and it can't hurt anything.
    I've owned and operated an Audio and auto acc business since 1988.
    I've heard some anemic 6x9's playing mounted in the package shelf then switched one set of leads and gave them tons of bass since they were wired wrong before, fixing BF's, Husbands, other shops work.

8. JONESYFXR

JONESYFXR Veteran Member

^^LOL, i hear you^^

Like I said, its been a while but it even suprised me when it happened.

I haven't worked in the industry per se for almost 20 years. I still do tons of audio for friends in everything from boats to Harleys.

9. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

The easiest way to find out if there's cancellation is to unhook one of them, sit in the driver's seat and listen. Then try hooking it back up and try unhooking the other one and sit in the driver's seat again. If either is an improvement or there's no difference than when both are hooked up, there's cancellation.

What can happen when the subs face each other is the bass (or any speaker for that matter) is the sound becomes very localized. Same effect when you hook up components in the doors. That's why you'll hear of people trying to find tweeters that sound good off axis. They should never point straight at each other. It creates a very narrow "sweet spot". I would imagine low frequency sound waves can suffer from the same anomaly.

10. jroach

jroach Veteran Member

shields, are those ported or sealed enclosures?