Automobile Battery Prices

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Flynt, Mar 12, 2018.

1. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

You can believe what you want, but that doesn't make you right. A 60K car from '95 doesn't have near as much electronics in it as a current $30,000 car.

2. bfmgoalie

bfmgoalie Veteran Member

I while ago I read an article about Kirkland batteries....anyone ever hear of them? This morning, I had to get a new battery for my wife's 2004 Accord. The previous battery was an Interstate. It lasted 5 years. I was told the temperature (heat) would shorten the life. Also, the wifey doesn't drive too much. I should have used the tender.

3. Burd

Burd Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Car battery's are poo. That's what it comes down to. And take your maintainer and throw it out. All BS.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'll disagree based on my experience but as with anything ymmv

5. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Kirkland batteries were marketed by Costco. However, Costco is now selling Interstates instead. Interstate opened their own battery manufacturing plant in Mexico - and many independent repair shop owners are not happy with the new line's quality.

The battery in Mrs. Champ's Camaro is an ACDelco. It was purchased in 2010 and I do put a battery tender on in it about 2 months before I take it out each spring.

Heat is a problem for automotive batteries. Cold doesn't really harm batteries - it's just that engines are harder to crank when they are cold that makes people think that.

When I toured the Johnson Controls battery plant in St. Joeseph, MO, I had to go through 8 hours of battery training before I could go inside the plant. I knew more than most before I went, and know way more than I wanted to know now...;)

6. Flynt

Flynt Veteran Member

I do not think battery tenders are a scam. Cars that are not driven frequently and have a constant electrical drain would benefit from a quality battery tender.

7. parts_master1

parts_master1 Veteran Member

Don't let the past remind us of what we are not no
    Champ, you are well educated in this matter.

BTW Johnson Controlls also makes Interstate in some markets. Like many manufacturers they sell their products to other suppliers. The secondary suppliers us these manufacturers to supplement their supply.

Super Starts are made by East Penn and Johnson Controlls. Just depends on what part of the country you are in.