AWD 2nd Gen Camaro

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by MoarThrottle, Nov 27, 2019.

1. MoarThrottle

MoarThrottle Veteran Member

Since this isn't an actual project i thought i'd post here. With winter here I've been thinking about AWD. Its great in my SUV and i think it would be even better in the Camaro!

So you take the front end from an AWD Astro or GMC Safari van, the oil pan from a trailblazer SS and then some sort of drive shaft finagling needs doing. And probably some coil overs for the front suspension. You'd probably need a different transmission, i'm not sure if the Astro trans would be good. But the front dif was used in the Cyclone and that beat a Ferrari so it, in itself, should be ok i would think.

I know there's more holes than Swiss cheese up there but its a start. What do you guys think would need doing? Do you think there's enough room up front so that you wouldn't have to cut into the firewall?

2. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

it could be done...

3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a MASSIVE undertaking.
    Probably easiest to find a wrecked Nissan GTR and swap the engine drivetrain and adapt the small block.
    But if you're going to do that, the GTR's suspension and brakes are vastly superior to the 2nd gen in every way.
    Pretty soon you end up with a Camaro body sitting on a GTR

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

5. MoarThrottle

Cali, I saw that video about the Firebird. That guy is a master mechanic ++. He's cobbled bits from everywhere lol. I'll be he could build a car if he was trapped on an island!

I could have sworn i saw a post a bout a guy that started this with an Astro Van front dif, but maybe it was just a dream. Maybe it was something that died on the vine?

I don't think it would a genuine or maybe i should say more genuine to have a Camaro body on a GTR-Frame, that's not what we're about here!!! :D

And Ken Blocks...well anything, is a custom tube chassis with a body on it. But if nothing else it shows classic cars can be AWD monsters! But when going that far truly anything can be done and Ken's team is amazing!

I thought it would be possible with all GM parts or mostly GM parts at any rate. In theory, what would it take? The biggest hurdle would be the trans and engine placement right?
    One could get some driveshafts custom cut and balanced. But other than those issues it could all be done w/factory parts no? Could one swap out the subframe?

For this thought exercise i'm imagining keeping a small black 350. But only because i'm under the assumption the LS engines are larger and we'd need all the room we could get.

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I thought these AWD builds were using the SS Blazer transmission and transfer case

7. MoarThrottle

I've seen both now that i've been looking. It seems the Blazer SS has an oil pan that makes room for the front driveshaft. So that would make sense. I was thinking that maybe that even though its newer stuff it might not be as well built? The Typhoon and Syclone used the AWD out of the Astro/Safari. And that back in the day beat a stock Ferrari some number...348? But then again that's all 90's performance. Don't all you need really is the transfer case though?

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If you got the time, money and interest. It’s a ton of work and in the end it’s just to say you did it.

9. JasonZE

JasonZE Veteran Member

Holden Australia had the Commodore Adventra 4wd wagon which uses mostly all gm components ls1 etc so google that model and see what they did

10. MoarThrottle

its rapidly become clear that the man with welding skills is king lol