B/C vs SS with solid color

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I will be painting my 74 code 74 Medium red. A non metallic also known as Pontiac Buccaneer red. Not sure of the system I will use but plan on urethane.

Advantages of using a B/C on a single non-metallic color vs a single stage???

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Money and time....Honestly, you don't need a system of base and clear unless you really want that and looking for the absolute show car paint. A quality single stage paint will get the job done. It comes down to what you want.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Base coat/ clear coat advantages and disadvantages:
    More shine to the finish
    More work and more things that can go wrong during the paint job

Single stage advantages and disadvantages:
    Usually less shine
    Less work doing the paint job

I agree with badazz81z28 that either one will be a nice paint job if you stick with urethane. Do which one you want.

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had mine painted in 1985 using Centari then a clear on top. It still looks like it did back in ‘85.
    Never been wet sanded/buffed.

[​IMG]

M1 Master Gunner likes this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

That Centari was good paint I thought. Wish it was still around. Have tried the Nason, works ok but needs special reducer and hardener to work. Stuff is getting real expensive.

6. badazz81z28

Looks good after all these years. Are you attributing it’s longevity to the BC/CC or the care and keeping it out of the elements?

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Driven from April after all the snow is gone and it’s put away when it snows in Nov or Dec.
    I drive it just about everyday in the spring/summer months and if I get caught in a rain storm coming from a cruise or show then I pull into the garage and it’s an easy wipe down using a decent chamois. I also only use spray Mothers Show and Shine to keep the paint looking decent.

The clear really helps making the red pop where as when I ordered new Z28’s in 77,78 and 80, I could never get the paint to look as good as on my 70 cause those yrs did not use clear.

Even my ‘87 Grand Nat’l with its orig lacquer paint was piss poor looking until waxed but then wouldn’t last when driving in the rain and washing and drying the car.

591757F2-2E28-4DCD-973F-C5A4DE0394AD.jpeg FB3E8DB5-7B8C-4B3B-BE0D-BA3AB2727100.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  8. Macho Z29-7

Macho Z29-7 New Member

BC/CC is the standard for a reason. It’s more forgiving when it comes to mistakes and easier to repair. Every time I use single stage it typically costs me double the labor to fix mistakes...which always happens. I’m a 1 man shop and only paint a dozen or so cars a year. Use urekem paint kits if you need to save money. I’ve been using their paint/clear for 7 years without any issues. Can you guess which one is single stage?

Attached Files:

9. badazz81z28

A BC/CC paint job can initially cost you twice as much, so pick your poison I guess.

10. Macho Z29-7

Macho Z29-7 New Member

It can...if you choose to use overpriced paint products.