B-pillar trim and top window trim

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by sladeballz, Sep 28, 2020.

1. sladeballz

sladeballz New Member

Do i have to reinstall the b-pillar and top window trim or can i leave it off? Installing new weatherstrip all around on my 70 project but don't have all the b-pillar or top window trim. Is it fine to leave those off? She needs paint eventually anyway, but i have to get her dried in asap.

2. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

You can leave the drip edge and the chrome pot metal piece on the C pillar off but you'll need to use the pieces the weatherstripping fits into.

3. sladeballz

sladeballz New Member

But will it be fine without the b-pillar chrome trim and the roof rail window trim that runs the roof and down the A pillar?

4. sladeballz

sladeballz New Member

20200929_031407.jpg

5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I understand correctly what you are asking then, yes, you can leave the weather stripping channels off BUT the car will not be “dried in” as that as that is where the weather stripping installs. If you are leaving the car outside then the interior WILL take weather.

6. sladeballz

sladeballz New Member

I have no idea how the channels or b-pillar trim installs. Everything was off when i bought the car, and i can't find any point of reference to go by. I even picked up a factory assembly manual, and it shows nothing. I'm missing a b-pillar piece for my driver's side, and idk what to do at this point. Feeling a bit defeated.

7. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

There are 4 main pieces for each window. They are held in by screws.
    1. A long curved piece that the weatherstrip locks into that fits into the channel in the body that goes up the A pillar and across the top of the window.
    2. A piece similar to part 1 that fits on the C pillar and the weatherstrip fits into.
    2a. There's a small right angle piece that connects the two weatherstrip channels in the upper rear corner of the window.
    3. The "rain gutter" which fits on the A pillar and across the top of the window. This is optional and is sandwiched between piece 1 and the body.
    4. Chrome C pillar trim that matches the rain gutter in appearance is also optional and is sandwiched between the piece 2 C pillar weatherstrip channel and the body.

flowjoe likes this.
  8. sladeballz

sladeballz New Member

I have a pile of random pieces that came with the car but not on the car. Idk what goes where in terms of channel vs trim. I really need to find a point of reference. Pics, vids, or a complete one i can go look at in person.

9. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What he said...only I think #4 is on all B pillars with or without the drip rail (“rain gutter”).

10. sladeballz

sladeballz New Member

I have a lot of research to do.