Baby kits by the mail box

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by DB Z28, Jun 16, 2018.

1. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0003.JPG Had 4 baby kit foxes born under the culvert in by driveway. Thought I share some pictures They really neat.One got hit by a car so their 3 now. DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

2. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

those suckers are cute. wish I could have one as a pet

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great pics!
    I had some living under a neighbor's shed a few years ago but they used my back yard for sunning and playing.

They are more gray colored when they are smaller.
    It was lol funny to watch them pounce and wrestle with each other and their parents.

4. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We used to get some fox pups every spring, around mid to late May, from under our 10x20 garden shed. Apparently they were using that as a den. Then in mid June they'd disappear. We looked up red foxes(we also have gray foxes around here that we've seen), and apparently they typically have two dens. We figured they abandoned the den under our shed when we(and others) started cutting the lawn - we store our tractors right next to our garden shed.

We used to get them every year until 2006, the first spring we had our Scottish Terrier Molly. Then we didn't see them again until this spring, with Molly gone. Apparently she was keeping them away. Our Yorkie Abby barked at them, but they didn't seem terribly impressed.

If you're out at night and you hear sort of a "trilling", that's probably a nearby fox. At least what we hear sounds like the recorded sound we found on the internet. I've also heard them "bark", almost like a dog, when the mom was out with the pups and I approached, but that seems to be rarer.

5. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

can you pet them? they dont look very hostile.

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

too damn smart to pet.....CUTE....and actually havent heard of hardly ANY BAD fox stories. I mean nothing negative to PEOPLE.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

All cute when they are young. I do watch their news channel.

Peck and Blown Camaro like this.
  8. Blown Camaro

Blown Camaro American by birth, drag racer by choice

I had a "pet" possum once that ate the cat food off the porch. I finally caught him one night by opening the door at 10:30pm. He ran so the chase was on. He went about 20 feet and had to stop to rest because he was so overweight. Pretty funny. He got his wind back and scrambled to a tree and climbed it. Had another one walk across my lawn in daylight and go under my 20x10 shed to die. That sucked.

9. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Foxes can get rabies. When we first moved out to the rural area we're in now, someone told me to be worried if a fox doesn't run when they see you, and will let you approach them. That can be a sign they have rabies.

Farmers and hunters sometimes find orphaned kits, and can make pets out of them if they're young enough. One of my dad's friends owned a farm where we would go to hunt pheasant, and he had one he had found. I only have a vague memory of it, but I don't think it would let me touch it. Kind of skittish, I think. Too long ago(the '60s) for me to remember clearly.

My wife used to make fun of the possums around; then she found out last year they're one of the critters that eat ticks. Now she loves them, they're one of her favorite critters! (she got Lyme from a tick bite several years ago).

10. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My grandpa had a pet female fox when I was about 8 years old, named her Red
    Found it under his summer cottage in Wisconsin after the mother got hit by a car. His good friend was a veterinarian who checked the pup over and gave it a clean bill of health. Was my Gpa's best friend for almost 12 years before she passed away. Red was the coolest thing for me as a kid, more affectionate than any dog I had ever known and Gpa never had issues with cats, possums or pretty much else on the property when she was around. Nowadays its frowned on to have them as pets

Blown Camaro likes this.