Back drive linkage

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
Does the 1970-2 staple shifter have a back drive linkage to operate the neural safety and reverse light ?

Last edited:

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
I believe that all the Camaros of that vintage except column shift automatics had the backdrive linkage. It would be needed to activate the steering column lock.

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
Does it operate the gear shift indicator or does it also operate the reverse lights and neutral safety on the auto floor shift ?

l16pilot

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Dec 13, 2004
Hurlock, MD, USA
I'm pretty sure the column shift autos used the same back drive linkage...just in reverse, meaning instead of the trans lever using the back drive linkage to operate the column, the column used the back drive linkage to operate the trans shift lever.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
l16pilot said:
I'm pretty sure the column shift autos used the same back drive linkage...just in reverse, meaning instead of the trans lever using the back drive linkage to operate the column, the column used the back drive linkage to operate the trans shift lever.

^+1
I'm pretty sure you're right!
How else would the gear selection work from the column?

I once had a console shifter cable break on my 78 and I figured out I could operate the transmission gear selection with the steering column collar until I got the cable replaced. ;)

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
The 1970 Assembly Manual shows the stirrup shifter with a cable that goes to the tranny to shift it and the backdrive linkage is connected at the tranny to run back up to the column. It also shows the neutral safety/backup switch up on the column being driven by the backdrive linkage. I can't find a page showing the linkage to the PRNDL indicator.

twozs

Veteran Member
Aug 5, 1999
hopewell jct ny
Gary S said:
The 1970 Assembly Manual shows the stirrup shifter with a cable that goes to the tranny to shift it and the backdrive linkage is connected at the tranny to run back up to the column. It also shows the neutral safety/backup switch up on the column being driven by the backdrive linkage. I can't find a page showing the linkage to the PRNDL indicator.
This is what I thought. The auto switch on the column had 4 wires and the manual had 2 . The neutral safety and reverse had nothing to do with the console area on the staple shifter ? ...

lapedr

Veteran Member
Jan 28, 2003
Pembroke, GA
There is linkage that operates the neutral safety switch on the column on some models, it works the column lock, and it enables the shift indicator wire to show what gear you are in. On early models the neutral safety switch was in the horseshoe shifter, I think that after the strike they changed it to the steering column, I know mine is in the column.