Back from an adventurous cruise

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by dwright406, Oct 5, 2010.

1. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

Well folks last week I was on the lovely Carnival Conquest out of Galveston destined for Jamaica, Grand Cayman & Cozumel.
    It turned out to be an interesting week.

It was my wife, son (8) and myself. This was our son's 2nd cruise but was to be his first time to visit Jamaica and Grand Cayman. We had fun excursions booked for both new (to him) places before we left. We planned on just hailing a cab in Cozumel to a nice beach.

Now, on this cruise ship the satellite picks up a few limited tv stations out of Denver, so I was never able to see what the weather was where we were going. It was out of my control anyways so I just went along for the ride and enjoyed it.

We left Sunday, 9/26, and had great weather Monday and most of Tuesday when the seas started getting a little rough south of Cuba.
    Wednesday morning we woke up psyched and ready for our fun filled day in Jamaica, stepped out on my balcony and saw rain wind and big waves.
    I figured it would pass.

We went down to the dining room for breakfast, we had a great view out the back of the ship as the mountains of Jamaica came into view. As we ate I noticed the seas were very rough, I looked out the port side windows and saw nothing but water, out the starboard side was only sky, we were listing quite badly.

I watched out the rear windows as I saw Jamaica come by, then open ocean, then land again, then ocean. I believe the ship made 3-4 complete revolutions in the bay before the captain made an announcement that they were unable to control the ship to safely dock due to 60 knot winds, so they were canceling Jamaica.

We sailed into the open sea right into 15+ foot seas that pounded us the remainder of the day accompanied by the wind and rain.
    You could definitely feel the ship rocking even at 110,000 gross tons and 960 ft in length.
    It was a fun ride.

Thursday we got up to see much better weather and calmer seas, and Grand Cayman coming into view.
    This was supposed to be Zach's first encounter with the stingrays at the world famous stingray sandbar. But as soon as the ship got into position to drop anchor and begin tendering operations, they made an announcement that the Grand Cayman port authority had closed the port due to rough seas.

So off we went towards Cozumel. Zach was disappointed to say the least. But we made the most of our time on board and still managed to enjoy the day.

Friday I got up early to find clear skies, flat-as-glass seas and Cozumel on the horizon. We got off the ship around 8am for the first time in 5 days, did a little shopping and grabbed a taxi which took us to Playa Palancar beach on the southern tip of the island. We had an absolute blast there. This particular resort is free to enter, they just want you to buy some food and drinks during your visit.
    The beach was beautiful, there were waiters making the rounds taking orders and bringing out the goods. The three of us ate like kings and drank up our fair share of some awful strong drinks, we ended up spending about $60 for the day for the 3 of us there.
    This particular beach club is home to 47 peacocks, which are very tame. They liked eating tortilla chips out of our hands and would allow us to lightly pet them. It was quite a memorable experience.

We spent about 6 hours at the beach before we returned to the ship at 4:30, plenty of time to spare for our 6pm sailaway.

Saturday was a nice day as we returned back to Galveston.
    They had the UT - OU game playing on the huge outdoor screen on Lido deck. That turned into a huge party, we got front row lounge chairs to the screen and kept the waiters busy bringing us drink after drink. The Longhorns lost but it was still the most fun environment I've ever had the pleasure to watch a game in.

All in all, even with the rough weather and missed ports, we still had a blast, at least we made it to Cozumel which is one of my favorite places.
    Oh, and for missing the ports we received free drinks on Thursday night, they gave each of us on-board-credit, and 20% off our next cruise.

Here's a few pics.

Leaving Galveston:
    [​IMG]

View off my balcony Monday evening:
    [​IMG]

Here's as close as we got to Jamaica:
    [​IMG]

Wind and waves off Jamaica:
    [​IMG]

This is Grand Cayman right as we were turning away:
    [​IMG]

Sunset Thursday evening between Grand Cayman and Cozumel:
    [​IMG]

Sunrise over Cozumel:
    [​IMG]

My son and I on the beach:
    [​IMG]

Peacock begging for food:
    [​IMG]

Football on the big screen:
    [​IMG]

2. dwright406

dwright406 Veteran Member

A few more:

For comparison, there are 2 guys standing directly under the screen here:
    [​IMG]

Me, drinking:
    [​IMG]

Some sinfully good chocolate amaretto cake:
    [​IMG]

Peacock eating out of my hand:
    [​IMG]

A couple 'cocks strolling down the beach:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all folks...

3. 80-z28

80-z28 Veteran Member

We went on that same boat and same destinations out of New Orleans in 2004. It was my first cruise. We chose the snorkling in Jamaica and the boat that we took was filthy and the cab drivers there are crazy. I did not enjoy that excursion at all.
    We chose swimming with the sting rays in Grand Cayman and that was really nice . Also did a little snorkling there. The water was much clearer and cleaner along with everything else there.
    We chose passion Island in Cozumel and that was OK but all of the food had flies all over it. Needless to say we were starving when we returned to the ship.
    But it was something new to me which made it little more interesting. I would go back but I would choose different excursions.

4. Buickfunnycar

Buickfunnycar Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

David,
    Still on the tail end of hurricane season so anything can and will happen I guess.

We've always been pretty fortunate that way,never had much of an issue but did encounter some pretty rough seas...you know when they place the barf bags everywhere the seas are rough,lol.:eek: Glad you guys weren't effected by it too much.

We must luck out because from what I hear,GC is almost always impossible to tender into in rough seas although each time we've gone we never had an issue there either.

Looks like fun,been almost a year for us since our last one.

5. 81Midnight

81Midnight Veteran Member

My wife and I took that exact same cruise out of the exact same port on sept 27th of last year for our honeymoon. It was our first cruise and we had a great time. Glad to hear it was fun, I'm working on booking us another one, longer, and somewhere different.

Jake

6. Fawn

Fawn Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Peacocks are awesome. Suck as pets though....REAL loud and poop like dogs! LOL

I wish I could talk Ryan into a cruise...

7. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad you had a good time on your vacation.

I got paid to go on a cruise through the Caribbean back in 1968. The “cruise” ship was the U. S. S. Shangri-la and the only thing we saw as a lot of ocean! We got hit by a large storm (may have been a baby hurricane) for a couple of days which suspended flight quarters.

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome back to our Nasty little world. It sounds like you suffered enough already.

9. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool , looks like you enjoyed yourself.
    Been on the ocean for 3 years straight, so I'm familiar with the view.

If he's anything like me.....

I won't go on a cruise after being out at sea on a ship for all those years.
    I've seen enough of the sea and crazy storms to last a lifetime.

10. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We love cozumel, fun for adults and yet very kid friendly. The last time we went we just skipped the cruise and just flew in!

Very safe for Mexico as well.

Try the amazing cozumel race, based on the TV show. It's cool, even though my kids are 10 and 12, we came in second place.

http://www.racefantastique.com/racefantastique.com/Cozumel Race Fantastique.html

Glad you had fun in spite of the weather.

Rich