Back pain sucks. Ouch.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Sep 29, 2021.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

After a week of crippling intense sharp pain, I gave up the being tough guy and went in. X-ray didnt show much other than back muscles were spasming out pulling my spine all wonky...so got set up with an MRI. Boy did that tell the tale. Blew the disk between L5 and S1 in my lower back. The inside of the disk now outside are pushing on my siatic nerve which is creating the dehabilitating leg pain. It’s like an intense Charlie horse from my butt to my ankle.
    Supposedly this will resolve or should anyway, resolve itself in 6-12 weeks. Otherwise surgery is the option of the steroids/steroid injection doesn’t help. Man I don’t wish this on anyone. Have yet to find anything that even takes the edge off the pain.
    I know there’s far worse things out there so I’ll stop whining and crying now. Just ouch. 9BAE25A0-C1A2-4AD6-8DB4-75431795E2E1.jpeg

Zstar, La.Z8 and mrfleet12 like this.
  2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the club ;)

La.Z8 and gramps like this.
  3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did they offer you Physical Therapy or anything?
    Talk to a chiropractor yet?

Zstar likes this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Jesus man. That is awful. Was there an event that brought it on? Don't be shy, I've done every stupid thing to my back u can think of. Oddly, it's usually bending over to brush my teeth or pick something up.

So, 2 things that always help me most are loosening the muscles that pull your pelvis forward and back. Psoas muscle(google it) and glutes. Next, GENTLE spine decompression. Can be as gentle as just laying flat on your back on a hard surface, work your way up to supporting your weight by leaning over a couch back or something like that. Then graduate to hanging from a chin up bar with your toes still on the ground carrying some weight and keeping u still. Avoid anything extreme. There are no shortcuts, the inflamed disc needs to settle down.

Long road, give it 15 minutes of that stuff every day if u can.

Zstar likes this.
  5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The sciatic nerve lets you know when it’s not happy and it makes you miserable.:(

I had some issues with it a couple of years ago.

I got lucky and the problem healed itself.

gramps likes this.
  6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Yeah that sucks! will take some time to start feeling better. When i blew out two lower disc's i ended up in PT. They did some massaging to work out the knots in the muscles, did a lot of laying on a big ball doing leg raises. The girl also had me put my back to a wall and slide up and down which really helped.

7. gin man

gin man Veteran Member Gold Member

Whatever you do, if the pain does not resolve in about 6 weeks, seriously consider surgery. My orthopedic doctor strung me out for 8 months trying PT and steroid injections, neither of which worked and almost cost me lost function in my foot. After 8 months of hell, I woke up from surgery with absolutely no pain.
    Car related story to this. I went to see a neurosurgeon who had been recommended to me and when he took one look at me, he asked me if I wanted to do it the next day to which I said no. I did go in the following week for surgery and before I was put under, I told him that the reason I couldn't do it the week before was that I had my son's car ready for paint and I had to finish what I started. He just shook his head.

Zstar likes this.
  8. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Nerve pain is horrible, my sciatic shows up at times, really sucks. Also have a nerve thing in the left side of my face, trigeminal neuralgia. I've been on a low dose of Amitriptyline for a while now just to keep it at bay.
    Take it easy and listen to the doctor!!

9. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I waited 6 years before I let them do the injections because I listened to a friends warped advice. The last year of that I was dragging my leg it was so bad. After the injections I was pretty good, the right PT guy helped a ton. It's now evolved to nerve blocks and that's short lived so I'm not sure where we go from here. You're a pretty young guy so my best advice other then listening to the doctor and not your buddy is to stretch stretch stretch. Once the body goes into protection mode and everything tenses up it gets a lot worse, at least for me. Tight muscles pull everything out of place. I have the most damage at L4,L5 and L3, if I lay on the bed on my stomach and let my legs hang off at about the knee it seems to pull my back apart enough to relive the worst of the pain when the nerve pinches. You can control how much it pulls by pushing your torso off the bed a bit with your arms and eventually easing back down with you head flat if it hurts too much to start that way.

BTW, be glad the pain has bypassed the jewels, that sucks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Zstar likes this.
  10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I drove about an hour in a Nissan Frontier. Felt a pinch and my back got tight. Few days later I was sitting on the floor and I twisted some and was hit with the pain. So not exactly sure what happened.

Went to the chiropractor several times, she really worked at it, but minimal if any relief. Did pt today, also minimal if any results - however I’m sure that will improve as the inflammation goes down I’ll me able to move and do more excercises. Hope it goes away without surgery. I can deal with aches and such, the sharp stabbing jolts not so much.