Backfiring after shutdown

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Johnboy9914, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

I'll try it out tonight when I get home! Thanks for the link. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. Are you really in Argentina (the country)? I've never traveled south of Panama (Howard AFB, now defunct). I've been all over the far east though(retired Air Force). What kind of systems engineer are you? I'm in communications myself.

2. gwrba

gwrba Veteran Member

Yes John ! I'm in Buenos Aires.... I did born and lived here all my life!... Did i understood well.... you're a retired air force man ?

I'm working here on Telecom, so i'm all the time involved with telecommunications system's issues... 0-800, direct lines, mobile phones and so on... here are more than five hundreds different systems... When i'm bored i work with my Camaro! he he... I know Telecom is little known there in USA, you've AT&T...

Here in Argentina we have many great cars, ... for example, the Dodge GTX which basically is a Mopar(A-body) car with a 318 CID engine on it... But i love the seventy's american cars...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  3. Johnboy9914

Johnboy9914 New Member

My first car was a 66 dodge cornet 440 convertible. It came with a factory 318 R/T. Oh how I wish I still had that car! I saw one (with a hard top) go for around 65K on Barrett Jackson two years ago. I can only imagine what the convertible would be worth today. I fixed my backfiring problem during my lunch break! It was the timing after all. The mark/grove on my new balancer is off about 1 and 1/4 inch. I moved the distributor three cogs to compensate. It ran smooth before, but even better now. No glowing pipes anymore either. Once it warmed up I noticed some valve lashe. I'll fine tune it later tonight when I have more time. Right now I'm just breathing a sigh of relief! I ran it for 30 minutes at 1250 RPM to break in the cam. As an extra precaution I ran a large fan in front of the car while I ran it up. After thirty minutes of run time I started and shut it off several times, it never backfired at all and the pipes never glowed either. Thanks to all who helped! I have worked in telephone systems for more than 25 years. I started out as an installer, key systems, etc. Worked my way into the plant programming Nortel MSL100s and Meridain 1s, then managed all of telephone systems for the Air Force at Head Quarters. I was responsible for the life cycle support for of 400 Telephone switches and training for over 3000 technicians. I retired from the Air Force in 04 and now work for a small communications company here in TN. I earned my RCDD two years ago and primarily design and sell LAN, WAN, copper and fiber optic infrastructures. I'm always looking for something different though. I spent 15 years in Alaska and loved every minute of it, but the cold gets to you after a while. Thanks for your help!