Backfiring and no power

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by WiggyB31, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I make and have in stock three styles of Adjust-A-Covers for adjusting SBC flat tappet hydraulic lifters with the engine running. They are NEW and come with eight plugs and directions. They cost $60 plus shipping. I have used these myself and have sold around a hundred of them. Everyone that has bought one of my Adjust-A-Covers loves them because there is little if any mess when adjusting the lifters with the engine running.

Centerbolt SBC Adjust-A-Cover
    upload_2019-10-27_2-33-22.png

Standard height Adjust-A-Cover
    upload_2019-10-27_2-34-1.png

Tall Adjust-A-Cover
    upload_2019-10-27_2-34-51.png

2. Estevan Montalvo

Estevan Montalvo New Member

I would like to get a pair of tall and centerbolt covers if possible.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

PM Cardinal the seller above and he will sell you a set

4. Estevan Montalvo

Appreciate it , new to this site, but pretty sure i pm him. Those cover seems like a good idea.

5. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

To send a PM , a private message, just click on the avator and you will see the option to, start a conversation , and those covers look like a great solution to adjusting the valves without getting oil everywhere

6. Estevan Montalvo

Thank you and i agree with these look like a great idea for adjusting , though ive read a huge debate of people arguing about making sure the isnt on when adjusting the valves.

7. Cardinal

Estevan and I "communicated". He bought a centerbolt and a tall Adjust-A-Cover.

Understand that I have been "doing" this (working on vehicles) for 60+ years and have been quite successful at building small block and a couple of big block Chevy motors (along with every other part of a GM product!).

I learned how to adjust SBC and BBC hydraulic lifters from what I still call master mechanics (one of which had a 65 Chevy II Nova with a 327 SBC in it back in 1969). Yes, you can pre-adjust them with the "IEEIIEEII rotate the engine and adjust the rest of the " EEIIEEI" (whatever that sequence is!) and get them close. AND if you know how to degree a cam (which I learned how to do when I was a mechanic on a dirt track car in the early 1970's) so that you know EXACTLY where TDC (top dead center) is so that the harmonic balancer is ZEROED in relation to TDC of the #1 piston AND you put a mark at each 90 degrees on the harmonic balancer (90, 180, 270 degrees) OR put a timing tape on the harmonic balancer that shows all of that, you can adjust the lifters with the engine off.

BUT to ACCURATELY adjust SBC or BBC hydraulic lifters you should adjust them with the engine running. AND it makes an unholy mess even if you use those "clip on the rocker arms" POS (been there, done that, HATED IT) which is why I made the first Adjust-A-Cover 50 (yes, fifty) years ago when I put a new cam into my 63 Chevy Biscayne!

8. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Adjusting valves with the engine off and intake off is just as accurate because you can physically "see" how much preload each lifter has. People do the oil bath method when they don't want to go through the hassle of removing the intake. Cardinals valve covers will reduce the oil bath by 95% I would guess.

9. Cardinal

Actually, my Adjust-A-Cover almost eliminates the oil mess. Some of the knockout plugs may weep a little if any oil which is easily controlled a rag.