Backing/Reverse Light switch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Oldskool62, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jimmy W

Jimmy W New Member

I had a similiar issue and was able to find all the parts including new nylon bushing, cup and spring at "chicago muscle car parts inc". Not cheap but they had all the pieces, some new and some used

Oldskool62 likes this.
  2. frank5s

frank5s Veteran Member

Post a WTB and someone on here will reply, at least it has always worked for me

Oldskool62 likes this.
  3. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oldskool62 likes this.
  4. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Thanks allo of you for the help. Its why I love this place

5. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

Mate thanks for this. It was the easiest solution. I just marked to column where the reverse lights come on. Problem solved and no cash outlay.

NOT A TA likes this.
  6. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

I'm in this boat now, on my '77 Z28. Prior owner (or three ago??) may have had headers, because my linkages are all missing. Did you just rotate the "sleeve" on the firewall side of the column to engage the reverse lights? When I do that, I cannot get the key back in the "off" position unless I rotate the sleeve back. I thought about buying a Summit relocation switch/bracket just to get away from the extra mechanical linkage, etc.

Car came from OH (GA prior to that), and no inspection was required. However, I'm in NY and they inspect for Reverse lights!! Ask me how I found out mine didn't work????

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

No, you won't get the key out of the ignition cylinder unless the column ring is in the "Park" position.

The back drive linkage controls all of that through the column collar... Reverse lights, Column Lock and Neutral Safety Switch.

By leaving the column ring in the Park position... The column will lock when the key is in the off position but the other two functions would need to be wired with switchs to the shifter or the gear selector arm at the transmission.

Or possibly... A toggle switch (or two) on the dash or console if the safety inspection allows that option.

If you no longer have headers... Replacing the back drive linkage would be the simplest option but finding a complete set of parts may be difficult.

8. bnz433

bnz433 New Member

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I figured. May have found a set from Camaro Central, but I guess I'll see just how "complete" it is, when I get it. I get the common/mass production need from the factory, but for floor mount, it seems a bit silly to add in more linkages just for NSS and Reverse Lights. A shifter mounted switch would have been less claptrap! Although, I suppose now I can get my dash mounted gear selection indicator to work, too??? Hahaha!

9. Oldskool62

Oldskool62 Member

My car passed registration no problem. When I was asked to show the reverse lights work I turned the column. Technically it’s legal here.