Backspace for one wheel different?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by parker36, Jun 1, 2015.

1. parker36

parker36 Member

Just wondering if this will work or any solutions besides new wheel. I had 3 rally's for 79 camaro FW code. From research I thought the backspace was 4 1/4" but this might be perfect definition of why you should double check. Bought 1 new rally from Summit and had all new tires put on. When I installed these on the car I noticed the studs not sticking out as much on the new wheel that I bought. Looks like all other wheels are about 4 3/4" backspace and new wheel is 4 1/4". Is there a solution to this such as just leaving it the way it is, or installing longer wheel studs, or is this just a case of getting another new wheel and changing it out? Just wanted to see if anyone came across this before also?

2. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

I don't believe that the backspacing will have any affect on how much of the wheel stud will stick out. BS will determine where the rim sits inside the wheelwell.

Have you checked the length of the studs on the one wheel compared to the other three? Have you tried putting that rim on a different corner?

As far as having the same BS rim on each axle, that is what the "normal" thing to do is. But if you rear end is offset to one side, I could understand a slightly different backspace to center the rims in the wheelwell.

3. parker36

parker36 Member

I have tried it on the left front and the right rear so far and on both the lug nuts are flush to the end of the stud. On all other wheels the lug nuts stick out maybe 1/4". I never though about any other factors with this and will try to take a good look at it tonight and see if something is different. I just assumed it was a back spacing issue right away. Thank you for the response and ideas for this.

4. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are these steel rally wheels? If so, you should have a lot more than 1/4" sticking out. My Weld Prostar wheels have a thick center section that use a specific shoulder bolt to mount. If you can, post up some pictures. Like said, backspacing has nothing to do with your issue.

5. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

There is only 3-to 5 places the wheel touches the hub , look to see if these are deaper , larger than the other wheels.

6. parker36

parker36 Member

Here are some pictures of what is going on. I looked at it again when I got back and it is not much of a difference but just something that I noticed. I really appreciate the help and answers so far. These are some things I never thought about when putting this wheel on. So far everything looked to be the same and the same measurements just looks like the new wheel didn't go on the studs as far as the other wheels. See what you guys think from the pictures and I will do some measurements to make sure it's not something simple I am not seeing.

Attached Files:

7. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

One thing I notice is that in the first photo, it appears that the center hole is slightly larger than the one in photo 2. It looks to me like the hub extends through the whole the same distance on both rims, however.

Therefore, I think the studs are shorter on the one side.

Measure how much stud you have extending out from the brake drum on both sides. I think you'll find that the studs on that one side to be the issue.

8. parker36

parker36 Member

Thanks for the reply. I am noticing that now and I notice the old wheel looks to have a lip on it. I should have said that pic is from the same hub. The first one is the new rim on it and the second one is the old one. I had 3 that were all on the car, but had to buy that new one to get them all on. I am wondering if it is just a matter of new wheel and maybe working on the lug holes a little bit to help it out. I never noticed that lip until you said this and kept looking at both pics. Still need to take measurements from on the car and see if the wheel is sitting out more or not and if that's the case can just get some longer studs hopefully.

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Picture #2 looks like a standard GM wheel. I don't like the way that Summit wheel fits, looks like a poor universal design. Might want to call Summit and see what they have to say. Did you check part number on the wheel to make sure it's what you need? I just got a set of shocks where the box was mislabeled from the parts store.

10. parker36

parker36 Member

I think now after reading more and the reply's from here that I might be fighting a hub centric wheel vs. a lug centric wheel. Seems that a lot of these aftermarket wheels are lug centric which is different than the old wheels. Center on old is 2 3/4" and the new is over 3". Pretty crazy that it's so much of a difference.