Bad Day Looking For Parts

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Bandit723, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

So I have been working on rebuilding a sub frame and the suspension and steering assemblies. Most of the parts that I need I have received or are on the way "Has not been Easy". So today I figured I would get the last part I need to button up what I am working on the upper A Arm alignment shims. Easy Right ?.

So stopped by Automotive Supply in town and inquired as to getting the shims and got an immediate no try Matthews tire center “by the way they are the most reputable shop in town” so, stopped by Matthews and asked about getting a few shims they said no they don’t have them, go to Automotive or NAPA. First thought that went thru my head was WTF. A supposedly reputable alignment shop does not have these?. They also added to bring in the shims when or if I get the alignment…Sigh.

So stopped by the NAPA store. Asked about the shims, and got a dumb look what are those? At this point I am thinking what? This guy is as old as I am, should know what I am talking about. So what happens next he is showing me shims for a Freightliner. So I thanked him for his help and walked out of the store thinking DA’s.

So ran over to O’Reilly’s same question looking for alignment shims. Response was what? So the gentleman did put in an effort to find them. He Came up empty even with the example part that I brought along.

So ran back home and Goggled the shims and yes I can get them of the internet but a variety will be at a cost. I did come up with a MOOG offering. Simple right? No ran back to Automotive supply “a MOOG shop” with the part # in hand. They looked in there system and again said no, out of 200 stores they deal with no one has the shims.

To say the least this was a waste of time. Never thought a simple shim would be so hard to buy locally.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tires Plus had them when I had my alignment done, yea they can be a bi-ch to find though.

3. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

We use Dorman Help P/N 02344 from Oreilly @ work when we get in something old enough that needs shims....they work just fine. Oreilly usually stocks two packages in my area. It says body shims...but they work...my .02

4. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Harbor Freight has them as well under body shims.

dale68z likes this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Your local pick n pull.

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Found the shims in stock in New London WI. Just a short round trip to pick them up.

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Just so you know you can get them at Harbor Freight too, part#67585.

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

well it is a 1-1/2 hour round trip to the Appleton Harbor Freight store vs. 45 mins to New London. I am good. Thanks

9. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Its amazing how hard alignment shim are to find anymore. They used to be a dime a dozen.

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

When was the last time a new car used them, 1987? LOL