bad gas in an LS

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Jun 4, 2021.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Bad gas? I don’t think that’s your problem. I filled the Camaro up with premium in 2019 with a fuel stabil treatment and the car still fires right up. I bet you have an ignition issue.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You are probably right to try the gas first. LS to me suggests that you have an "electronic" engine there and they are very touchy about fuel. Old "mechanical" cars will run OK on old gas, newer stuff isn't that good.

3. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, we have found at least in the 5.3s if they sit for an extended period of time the injectors have major issues. Sometimes flushing the fuel works, sometimes we have to replace the injectors along with fresh gas.

4. badazz81z28

I’m curious as to the outcome....my LS starts just fine with very old gas. I’m thinking the problem is fuel delivery or ignition....not bad gas.

berg2695 likes this.
  5. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have plenty of fuel pressure (mechanical gauge mounted under the hood), and verified spark to the plugs.

6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some people think their limited experience is the only thing that ever happens. You've done the correct diagnostics don't sweat the internet experts.

7. badazz81z28

I guess we can reserve a forum where only you can answer questions. This isn’t a 100K miles 5.3....its a brand new 440. Simply draining gas and all new injectors isn’t the best course of action either. BTW Richard also states he had a progressive problem fouling plugs, and has yet to check them this time. No doubt the old gas needs to go, but based on what he said, looks to be an ignition problem....likely bad plugs.

8. kdracer73

kdracer73 Veteran Member

As far as using the key to run the pump, most systems will only run the pump for a few seconds at key on, engine off. The computer will shut off the pump if not not cranking or running. If you have a bi-directional scan tool, there is usually a manual command to run the pump

9. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not familiar with a "bi-directional" scanner. Can you explain in more detail? thanks.

10. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I have one, it is a great tool. Allows you to trigger systems in the car via the tool, like can run fuel pump, actuate fans etc with just the push of a button. Works great for diagnosis of issues and troubleshooting wiring

This is basically what I have https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-X431-Diagnostic-Bi-Directional-Programming/dp/B00NID586M