bad hood springs?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by biggrass, May 26, 2016.

1. biggrass

biggrass Veteran Member

Guys I have a fiberglass l88 hood that will not stay open without a prop rod. I currently have gold colored springs installed. Question is, is there a way to tell if its the springs or the hood hinges that are bad? Also best way to remove springs. These are thicker than stock ones. Tried pulling with a chain and will not budge.

2. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

what?

forgive me but I don't understand the question. Don't hood springs just unbolt?

3. Z27LS3

Z27LS3 Veteran Member

would'nt a fiberglass hood be lighter than stock? pics would help so we can see what you have. I, in the past, have pryed hood springs off with a large flat tip screwdriver or a prybar. put alot of padding on the fender, painted areas. I used moving blankets to protect the paint. pryed the old ones off and new ones on my old 69 conv SS. the ss hood was heavy and when correct replacement springs were installed the hood seemed to fly open, was worth the effort. sounds like your hood springs need replaced.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You probably have the original hood springs.Those are fine for steel hoods.But for fiberglass hoods,you need to use the springs supplied by them.Because fiberglass are lighter .For instance I have a Glastek cowl hood on my Camaro and use their springs .Because they already know what springs to use.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  5. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

I have a glass L-88 with the lighter gold springs too. I had some trouble with them keeping the hood open so I made a little extension for the ends to put a little more tension on the spring. If yours needs a prop rod then maybe your hinges are binding? or maybe those springs just arent heavy enough.

6. 81BirdMan

81BirdMan Veteran Member

Take apart some clothespins and jam the wooden pieces in between the coils while the spring is extended (when the hood is lowered as much as possible).

Raise the hood and you should have the spring extended enough to unhook it from the hinge.

[​IMG]

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hinges won't let the hood drop... It's the springs.
    MotionClone found a good solution without hunting for different ones.:D

8. phat80

phat80 Veteran Member

hey

I still don't get it. What's the problem? How can you not get your springs off?

9. biggrass

biggrass Veteran Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. biggrass

biggrass Veteran Member

Guys these are the springs that were installed by the shop when the hood was installed. I did go to vfn fiberglass locally and purchased gray colored springs that they say will work. I have pulled and pulled and no luck.