Balancer sticks out to far

2013DartR

Jun 7, 2015
Mount Airy, MD
The balancer on my car is sticking out too far and can't set time. All the pulleys appear to be lined up but the balancer sticks out so far that you can't see the mark on it with the timing tab. Ideas? Thanks

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
My first guess is to make sure its the right balancer,then put a harmonic balancer install tool on it and get it back where it belongs.
What's the story on the motor?Homebuild,or mystery motor?

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Mine sits like this.
balancer%20fully%20seated.jpg

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Something is not right. I'd remove it, apply a little oil on the crank and use the correct tool to install it. It will bottom out when you get to the end position.

Damon

Veteran Member
Nov 16, 2000
Philly area
Remove the crank pulley and the center retaining bolt. Measure from the edge of the balancer hub to the face of the crankshaft. It should measure exactly 1", if the balancer is on all the way. If it's more than 1" the balancer is not on all the way.

Balancers vary in their width, but the front face where the crank pulley attaches is ALWAYS in the same place. If you got a "skinny" balancer it's just not going to reach back far enough to overlap the timing tab, even if it's on all the way.

Last edited:

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
The timing tab looks odd to me? You can get a bolt on tab, bolts with the timing cover bolts. The belts look right, the balancer looks like a big one, nothing out of whack there seems like.

Latest posts