ball joint tool kit

Crosby

1973 Camaro RS
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 18, 2001
New Hampshire
anybody have any recommendations for a good ball joint/bushing removal kit? I have an OTC kit I bought a while back but it doesn't have the right adapters for the (73) Camaro ball joints and bushings. If you have a part/kit number that would be great. I'm not looking for Snap-On quality, but want to buy something decent that will last... it seems noone really lists what they fit/work on. Thank you for any help you can provide!

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Check amazon, you can get all the OTC adapters you need! I have the same kit, picked up or made the adapters I needed over time.
If you are going to spend money, buy stuff that will support the kit you have, it's a good one. Some cheap stuff will work for certain jobs, but for a ball joint press, the cheap stuff bends and breaks.

Having said all that, all I needed beyond the basic kit to do a Camaro was a big impact socket to use as a spacer. If you stare at it long enough, you will see how to do it.

Edit: a quick look at amazon shows a company called "8 mile lake" sells an exact chineseum copy of the OTC kit. I bet their adapters fit perfect with the OTC kit. The important part of the kit is the "C" clamp frame and screw part. Surely 8 mile lake can make adapters at least as good as I can.

Last edited:

Crosby

1973 Camaro RS
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 18, 2001
New Hampshire
Thanks Biker, I do have the OTC basic kit, maybe I just need an adapter kit to add to it. I’ll have to measure up the ball joints and see if I can figure out what I need. Thanks!!

Crosby

1973 Camaro RS
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 18, 2001
New Hampshire
Thanks Bonzo. I’ve rented a couple of times and unfortunately it didn’t start out as great quality, and was aggravated by broken and missing pieces, as well as neglect. They haven’t even tried replacing parts or the kit I’m afraid so I can’t rely on it, which is too bad. It’s so much better having your own and knowing what you can do with it I think. Anyhow, thanks for the ideas!

Jodi

Veteran Member
May 22, 2019
All I got is the basic kit as well.
This one has served me well and also made me some extra cash :).
20201031_094735[73550].jpg
20201031_094707[73549].jpg

Latest posts