base over cured SPI epoxy

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by TX79Z28, Jul 1, 2013.

1. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have read many threads, as well as visited the SPI website and forum, and I am getting somewhat conflicting messages.

I have the car in SPI epoxy (black) and plan on shooting slick sand, and 2K this week. Sometime before assembly, I want to shoot BC/CC over the "hidden" areas (cowl, tail light panel, etc). The epoxy will be WELL past the 7 day re-coat window. I have read of two methods:

1. scuff cured epoxy with a red scuff pad, shoot thinned down epoxy (sealer) and then the BC/CC

2. scuff cured epoxy as above, and shoot non-thinned coat of epoxy, BC/CC

Which way is better? Is it just a matter of personal preference?

2. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Why not lightly scuff the cured epoxy and go ahead with the color? That 7 day window is for topcoating without scuffing. After a week you HAVE to scuff. Call Barry.

3. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have read of adhesion issues with just scuffing after its cured/after 7 day window. I guess just wanted to know if it was super important as to it was sprayed with full 1:1 epoxy, or a thinned out sealer version of it

4. stevenp3762

stevenp3762 BANNED

doesn't matter, it will just flow alittle better thinned.

5. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Barry will answer all your questions. You will not have adhesion issues with scuffing - quite the opposite. I would not waste time and $ on more eooxy. Just scuff and shoot it w color

6. allstar12316

allstar12316 Veteran Member

You could either shoot straight color, or if you use another coat of epoxy I reccomend you thin it a little. This will help lay the over all job to lay down a little flatter and give more of a mirror like finish

7. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

The nad thing about over reducing is the extra solvents. If the pressures at the gun are correct normal reduction with the activator will produce a very slick smooth finish.

Solvents can get trapped under rop coat finishes and cause die back, or worse. A dulling affect. So need to allow extra flash time if you do that between coats.

8. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

I agree. I rarely reduce the epoxy . I am a believer that you want as little undercoats as possible for best long term finish. I have never once used a sealer.

9. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Likewise. Unless I need a ground coat on a 3 stage I shoot directly over a prepped solid coat of cured 2k urethane primer.

10. chevylet

chevylet New Member

SPI says to scuff their epoxy if its out of the recoat window then shoot 1 coat reduced. Let sit over nite and follow with your primer. Shoot 2-3 coats urethane or polyester. let it cure for a day or overnite before starting to block.