Bathroom vent fan??

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by Keizer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Doug, champ nailed it. Sones is ehat you want low, its the noise rating. 150 cfm is likely way too much exhaust. Likely 50 cfm will work fine, 100 cfm max.

2. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

Does it matter if you go higher than your needs? For example, if I only need a 70cfm fan, can I just get a 150 cfm fan? My thinking is bigger is better when you're trying to keep moisture to a minimum.

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The quieter fan is the Ultra series and the biggest Ultra fan is only 110 cfm. They have an 80 - which would still be more than 70.

4. BobsRS/Z28

BobsRS/Z28 New Member Lifetime Gold Member

What type of house do you have??? 2 story, Ranch, split??? I just finished a complete remodel on our master bath late last summer on a 5' x 10' bath which should have about a 50 cfm fart fan as I call them, but I installed a quiet 100 cfm Air King and vented it out into my soffit in my Ranch with a 4" flex duct with a 4" round grill and I was also getting alot of moisture running down the walls that I had to wipe off and it was actually starting to sort of stain my newly painted walls. Well I talked to an AC guy at work and the first thing he asked is what did you use for the outside grill. Well I told him I used a 4" round grill!!!! Well WRONG!!!! he told me if you use a 4" grill on the outside it will actually be like sticking your hand in that duct and give you blockage/back pressure which I didn't understand and he stated that the grill had to be much larger than 4". So I looked up soffit fan grills or something like that and I found these grills that were specifically for bath fans and alot larger opening (double sided exhaust) for the air to flow more freely and I have not had an issue with moisture on my walls since. If you need any more info please let me know. Good luck. Bob

5. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Doug...I think the limiting factor is how hard did your HVAC system work to condition all the extra air that is exhausted. I would think diminishing returns after a certain point.

6. Rick WI

Rick WI Veteran Member

Bigger isnt "better", just "too big" and more expense. Typical hotel room is ventilated at 100 cfm, fyi.

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

don't forget your paying to heat and cool the air you pushing out of the house so why push more than is neeed outside. it doesn't need to move much air . and it depends how well your bathroom seals . all air that is remove is replaced somehow . ( IE leaky windows or back feeding air through your heating and cooling system ) . the best remote fan is the fanteck remote . it comes in various sizes . the best is leave the door open and run the fan for a few minutes after the shower ... http://www.fantechfans.net/?gclid=CKKlvtTSr7UCFU-d4AodhXgAjg . i have personally installed hundreds of these in multi million dollar homes . . if you use a flexible connection on these and vented into or through the attic , insulated flexible duct is recommended as the flex duct WILL fill with condensed water in the cold attic in winter . wisper quiet .

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  8. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

I heat with wood, so getting rid of all moisture during a shower is the most important goal. I can't move enough air with a small bath room vent fan to even come close to affecting the heat in that area......usually close to 78F. My wood stove could care less what you're doing with a small vent fan.

9. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

our customers are a little more high end than wood , so do what you want . I'm giving you a professional opinion . if burning tons of wood isnt a problem , here is an idea , get a 1200 cfm external vent wall mount range hood fan and cycle the air in you house every 10 minutes through a dog door and stoke the furnace . mold will absolutely never be a problem unless you have a water leak . i mean even wood cost something ( time or labor or money or all 3 ) . sorry for my opinion .

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. Keizer

Keizer BANNED

I certainly appreciate your opinion. I didn't mean to sound differently. There are some times when I actually open the windows to cool down the house, so a small bath room fan wouldn't really make much of a heat difference in the house.