Battery drain

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by oledave60, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums

Can you connect all of the wires back up to the junction stud EXCEPT the one that goes into the car that powers the headlight switch, ignition switch, and fuse block ?.

If so, then do another test and if the draw is gone, then the issue is from that connection not attached to the stud into the interior of the car.

If the issue is still there, then it's an under hood issue.

Who's to say but sometimes you may have an interior draw issue as well as an under hood one so normally you have everything connected and do a current draw test then let's say you get a reading of 0.50A. You write that number down.

Now you disconnect just the power wire going into the cars interior and measure again. If the draw is now 0.00, then the 0.50A draw is ONLY from that disconnected wire into the interior BUT if it drops to let's say 0.30, then there is a 0.20A draw inside the car AND a 0.30 under the hood. Adding both up gives you the total of 0.50A.

If for another example just the power wire going into the car was disconnected and the draw still stayed at 0.50, then the issue is not inside the car but under the hood.

Jim

2. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

Thanks for your help. With black wire disconnected there is no draw at neg cable and no power anywhere inside car. I am going to start at the fuse block removing fuses on hot side and work my way thru all the circuits.

3. Jim Streib

What you could do now, just to verify is hook the battery back up and now put the meter in between the junction stud and the wire going into the interior. This is JUST a verification test to make sure we are not straying off track.

If you have things plugged into what I call the "taps" which are the 1/4" male terminals in the fuse block for adding accessories is make sure what you have plugged in is in the right spot. I just got done helping another Camaro owner and for some reason the electric choke was plugged into the BAT tap and needed to be put and plugged into the IGN tap and once he did that, his parasitic draw went away.

I also had another person that was not reading the fuse block right and what he thought was a blown fuse for the radio was actually the circuit for the turn signals.

Just throwing this out.

Jim

4. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

All good points.

5. oledave60

oledave60 Veteran Member

I think I found it, glove compartment light. Unpluged now have 14ma and no volts at neg to ground cable. Thanks Jim for replying and help. Now to get the dash back together. Dave.

6. Jim Streib

Great.

I might still be looking for that remaining draw and if it is from the stereo memory, then unplugging it should have your meter reading 0.00

If it was mine I would just verify that it is the radio drawing that power so that later if you have to get back into things you know what is what.

Jim

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad you found it! :D

I just figured out that I can start a video recording on my phone and put it into my glove box to see if the light goes out when I close the door. :brightide

I'll have to try that one of these days.

I still suspect it may be a bad alternator diode, but I would rather eliminate a few simple things before I crawl under the dash or disassemble the alternator.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. rocket dawg

rocket dawg Veteran Member

I had a bad cigarette lighter drawing juice. The lighter didnt work at all but had a draw. The main wire going to it is now removed. A replacement lighter is way too expensive and I dont smoke anyway. The glove box light is a common one. The switch isnt the highest quality and is easily jarred out of place, so to speak. Glad you found your problem. I may even unplug the glove box light. Its kinda of finicky getting it right.

9. Jim Streib

With this talk of battery drain I remembered a product I was looking at years ago for use on a church van that a lot of different people drove and sometimes the lat person that used it might not be aware they left a light on and the next person then had to jump start the van.

The product I found was by Priority Start and basically it wired into the cars battery positive cable and when the voltage got low enough due to something being left on, it would disconnect and stop power flow and then when someone came back to the car, opening the door or pushing the brakes on was enough of a draw that then the module would reconnect allowing the car to start. Granted you would loose memory settings on a digital radio or a clock as everything was disconnected right at the source of power, the battery

I never tried one and if anyone has I would like to get opinions on it as well as how it was installed. That info might be out there through a google search but sometimes you never know who was writing the review.

https://www.prioritystart.com/

Jim