Battery Size

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by nskerti71, Jun 30, 2020.

1. nskerti71

nskerti71 New Member

Its time to replace the battery in my 71 after it sat for a few years in a buddies garage without power. Currently I have an Exide 75-60 battery but was wondering if I should be looking at another size. Original 307 car but now has a 383 with the stock starter. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

it's all about $$$$ and reliability. Obviously NOT daily driver....so long OUT-of-USE times require some thought! If that battery performed to your expectations?...replace it and move on. If NOT...then add some thought in what your "cons" were and post them.

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just bought a new battery for my Camaro over the weekend. I went with 800 CCA for my 383. I would't go much under 750cca.

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

My 2005 XUV with a 4.2 is on it's 6th battery. I have just under 60,000 miles on it. The Bat is closed in with a plastic cover and a Metal Bar to keep it still. I have tried all the big names Die hard Duracell Exide Delco. They all were maintenance free. I think that that is a mistake B/C if you can't keep the water level up above the plates they don't last. I got a wally world Cheap one that is not Maintenance free just about a month ago. The Maintenance free type can be maintained if you peel the sticker off and open the little caps. But you void any warranty. Florida heat roasts my batteries. Water evaporate fast here. I was going to buy one at Orielly's but they were 160 -180.00. I had a conversation about battery care with the girl that worked there. I told her I had a 12 yr old Ever start that still worked. It was one from a car I sold. She said no way. Way I said. Just keep the water above the plates and charge it periodically. She said you should never add water only acid and you can't charge water. I said who told you that? I told her that a battery is 60/40 water to acid. The water will evaporate and the acid stays. She wanted to argue about it so I just left it. Went to walmart and got a 60.00 Bat. We will see how long this one lasts. Just a drag to pull the cover and the bar off to check the water level.

Zstar likes this.
  5. biker

biker Veteran Member

There is a guy on the YouTubes that does all sorts of odd experiments on things that we use every day. One of his vids was comparing car batteries in tests like cranking amps after being frozen, drawn down etc. and he found that a cheap walmart battery had the best results. Also showed that there are mainly 3 or 4 manufactures that supply most name brand and cheapo brand batteries. I think the name of his channel is "the farm project". Easy to go down the rabbit hole watching his vids.

budro6968 likes this.
  6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

That guy is a Mad Scientist! I haven't seen the battery one yet. Thanks I'll look that up.