Bay of Fundy

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1978 Z/28, Aug 22, 2020.

1. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I live near Saint John New Brunswick on the Bay of Fundy which has the highest tides in the world. On the NB high banks and steep beaches, but on the Nova Scotia side the banks are not as high or beaches as steep.
    My wife and I decided to go to Burntcoat Head NS where the tide is the highest on the Bay. Thursday the tide height was 47.9 feet and Friday low tide was 0 feet. WE had to walk almost a mile out to get to the water edge at low tide. About 3/4 of a mile my wife found an old engine.
    On Thursday there was a good wind with waves of 4 ft. On Friday very light fog low wind and no waves. Did not realize there was salt spray on camera lens that is why some of the pictures are not clear
    High vs Low tide pictures. Rock with is low tide in 6 hours 13 minutes will be under 48 feet of water. Picture after engine show how far it was from shore

IMG_4488.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG IMG_4487.JPG IMG_4567.JPG IMG_4554.JPG IMG_4544.JPG IMG_4557.JPG IMG_4562.JPG IMG_4533.JPG IMG_4501.JPG
    showing height of waves

Attached Files:

2. rchydzik

rchydzik Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Those are great. Thanks for sharing.

3. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Beautiful location. Guess that SBC logged it's last mile years ago.

4. 1978 Z/28

Thanks. We often forget of the wonderful things near where we live. With covid, in Atlantic Canada we can travel around the 4 provinces without self isolating for 2 weeks. Can not travel to USA and if we leave Atlantic Canada we have to self isolate for 2 weeks where we go and 2 weeks when we come home. Lots of day and short trips. I think the engine was from a small fishing boat that went aground.

5. 1978 Z/28

More of the Bay of Fundy NB.
    The first picture is where my grandfather set up his portable saw mill in the early 1930s on Big Salmon River, just past the suspension bridge. The saw mill and a fire tube boiler would be transported on 14 rail cars to the location and be assembled, when all the logs that had been run through the mill, everything was disassembled and sent to a new location. The saw mill would usually be located in the same place for 3 to 5 years. He would run the saw mill in fall and spring in summer he worked on my great grandfather’s farm. In the spring the tress that had been cut the year before would be floated down river with the spring freshet. Second picture shows where the logs would be brought up from the river to the saw mill.
    Other pictures are of the Bay of Fundy from the Fundy Parkway Trail NB side
    IMG_4464.JPG IMG_4465.JPG
    camped here in the late 70's wonderful place to catch Atlantic salmon
    IMG_4472.JPG
    bed to take logs to saw mill
    IMG_4473.JPG IMG_4475.JPG

6. 1978 Z/28

Picture of my great grandfather's permanent saw mill located in Centre Village NB
    saw mill.jpeg

Da-bigguy and Zstar like this.
  7. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Now that's a true anchor!!!

8. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Amazing pictures and stories!

Pour a little Sea Foam in the crankcase and that SBC will be ready to rock. :cool:

1980RS and carr911 like this.
  9. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Cool pics. Beautiful for sure

10. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

when I was a kid, we went shell hunting in Okinawa at some reef with my friends parents who were serious divers and collectors. the groups time it so you started walking out to the reef as the tide was going out. you only had so much time out there before you had to head back or you were swimming back. Nature is amazing