Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Minimum weight for the class, with the motor and tires I want to run is 3150.

I'm actually shooting for 2600 before ballast. Not sure if I'm going to make it there, but if I can, then I have the option of running a smaller motor in order to run the lower class minimum weight (2750).

What all have you done to your 79? EDIT - Nevermind, I remember now. I can probably help you find the class for it.

I'm pretty sure you are a CP car, but I can check.

In most cases, no matter your level of prep, c-prepared is the fun place for second gens.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

Yeah, I was hoping for that, there was a couple 4th gens running CP yesterday. My main question mark is the rear suspension, since we pretty much just wiped the slate clean and started over with it..

3. 1981paul

I'm going to be running a 3-link. CP lets you get away with murder.

Your car should be very competitive in CP with a set of tires (what you've got now just doesn't cut it). I would suggest something in a Hoosier or Kuhmo V710, but if you haven't autocrossed much before, a R-comp will just hide your sins. Something like a Dunlop Z1 Star Spec or Bridgestone RE11, if available in your size, would be a nice setup.

4. maacodale

maacodale New Member

Car looks great. I've got a 77 Z28 I've autocrossed down here in Hampton Roads, VA area for years. It's been a dedicated autocross car since probably '93. Shoot, it's only got 115K miles on it. I'd like to get up your way for an event one of these days. Ask Karen Kraus about it is you see her. She knows the car. Here's a shot from last weekends SE Divisional from Norfolk. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22888754@N00/3473644027/in/set-72157617311401520/

On a related note, I have a second gen firebird that's started as a project car for the kid and he's gotten into MINI's. It might just morph into a C/P car one day. I've got an old NASA Late Model Stock Car 355 just sitting in a stand in the garage. Might have to put them together one of these days.

5. 1981paul

I love Karen, she's good people. I run with her on a regular basis.

Your 77 looks fantastic. I'm "stuck" running my slow ST BMW right now.

[​IMG]

Hmmm... late model 355... let me know if you aren't using it...

In the meantime, if you ever want a co-driver, let me know. Might just get me motivated to get done sooner.

6. SR79

SR79 Veteran Member

It will definitely be getting something along those lines, kinda leaning toward the Kumhos since I've run their street tires for a few years now. The Sumitomo's are just what was cheap. I need to find some light wheels to put them on, though, the Soft 8's are like dragging anchors.

Maacodale - I'd love to see more pics of your car in action, it looks great in that one.

7. 1981paul

I loved the 710s on my old street mod car. Not as grippy as the hoosiers, but they last forever, and I'm not a good enough driver to get every last drop out of a tire.

8. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

Maacodale,

What kind of mods do you have done on your camaro?Such as springs,brakes and wheel and tire size.

9. maacodale

maacodale New Member

Actually, the car's fairly stock overall. I've had the car since 1980 and it's only got about 155K miles on it. Of course most of the last 15 or so years it's only been an autocross car. The wife was actually a 2 time SCCA SE Divisional champion in the car back in the 80's. I had a little more competition in ES/P.

It's an original 4 speed car with a 3:73 rear. We added a LSD since it came with a open diff for whatever reason. The original motor came out last summer but it was still holding it's own. The current motor is basically an early 70's spec 350, but still SCCA S/P legal. I didn't want to go very radical since I still have fond feelings for the car. Y'all know what I mean...

Suspension wise, I put on Rancho's Challenger GTIII suspension back in 81 which included their adjustable sway bars. They didn't make those long and it's a shame. They are some very good products. Hell, it still has the Rancho shocks on the rear. We did upgrade to some KYB's on the front last year. It has the Rancho springs on the rear and they seem to work well. We tried the Rancho springs on the front, but I didn't like the feel and went with some Stock Car Products springs, but I can't remember the rating on the anymore. Age will do that to ya! At the moment, I'm running GTA wheels with Hoosier A6 radials, but I still like the feel of the old Autocrossers. The car just seemed more driveable, though the A6's are good too. The one's on it now are going on 3 years old and still work well. I's a Hoosier dealer, so I haven't run anything else in forever.

10. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Where can I get a one piece fiberglass front end like that??