Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

Went for a quick drive down the street to check things out. I like my neighbors a little too much to rip it too hard, but it's nice to see things running better and starting to get dialed in.

John Wright likes this.
  2. 1981paul

For fun I entered the Camaro in the Hot Wheels Legends Virtual Car Show. After doing some searching on YouTube and see the level of other builds submitted, any small illusion of having a chance was well out the window, but it was still a fun thing to do.

We tossed on the live stream Saturday while we were working around the house, and I was surprised to see my car around the 52 minute mark, in the honorable mention section.

As a bonus, Brian Scotto (co-founder of Hoonigan) said the car was his #6 pick, which blew my mind (even if he made up his own history for the car). It was a fun little honor.

In actual work news, I made a new upper radiator support to replace the stock steel piece that wasn't working all that well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also did a little more work related to the EFI setup. Video on that should be out soon.

roadrace2 likes this.
  3. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Glad you went EFI....If i remember right you were using a ProSytems carb? If so i ran into a similar issue with running rich and did not seem to make a diff as to what i changes i made.

4. 1981paul

I was running a ProSystems carb, yes. I still think it's a great piece, but I'm just not a "carb guy." Plus, EFI is going to give me a few other benefits for racing.

5. 1981paul

When we were at Dixie, Grassroots Motorsports Magazine was awesome and did a quick feature on the car. They let me have a little fun while shooting, and just published the video. Check it out and give them a subscribe if you don't already!

dave@ztech, 2ndOwner78 and Bandit723 like this.
  6. 2ndOwner78

2ndOwner78 Member

Paul, LOVE the wardrobe changes!! It took me a second to catch, but then it totally cracked me up. The cape!!

Congratulations, great build and keep up the videos, well done.

1981paul likes this.
  7. 1981paul

Finally got the timing portion of the Sniper EFI buttoned up. Now just a few little things to take care of before I head to the dyno.

8. 1981paul

So, if you watched the last video, you saw I got the Sniper EFI up and running with timing control. That went great, but it left a little mess.

[​IMG]
    Have I mentioned I hate wiring?

And here is the after, which while still a nest, is much much better.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, with the current season on hold, I took a little bit of time to clean up the wiring, which then snowballed. When I built the car, I set the driver's seat as far back as was allowed by the rules, which put the stock pedals way too far away from my stumpy legs. The solution, of course, was to move them as well. We moved them the same distance as the seat, assuming that would be okay - it wasn't. The pedals were just a little too close. Not undrive-able, but not super comfortable. So, while I was in there with the wires, I moved the pedals 2 inches closer to the firewall, and tweaked the seat to sit a little more upright, buying me another inch there. The position is damn near perfect now.

Last thing done this weekend was to rescale and balance the car. I have added a few things to the car and moved a few things around, so it was due. First scale showed the car about 30lbs overweight with no fuel, so I was able to pull some ballast out, and move some other ballast around.

[​IMG]
    This is no driver, no fuel, but otherwise race ready. Class min is 3000lbs.

I'm even more excited that, with my big ass in the car, the passenger front, and both rear corners all weigh the same, with the driver's front corner only 57lbs heavier. Cross weight is 49.25% with me in it, and rear weight (without fuel) is at 49.27%.

Pretty much just some fluid and nut and bolt checks, and I'll be dyno ready.

dave@ztech and John Wright like this.
  9. 1981paul

I haven't let all the fame go to my head. I let some go to my feat.

John Wright likes this.