Be prepared, C-Prepared Autocross (1981 Camaro)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1981paul, Sep 11, 2008.

1. 1981paul

1981paul Moderator Staff Member

I think the alternator will help for sure, but after a day of great advice, and a night to sleep on it, the valve springs will be happening before the next dyno. It may delay the start of my season, but it's the smart move.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good move, your valve train will thank you. If you can swing it, give a stud girdle a thought, you actually have the valve covers for it.

Lowend and 1981paul like this.
  3. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd agree there. When my old clients swapped to a Solid-Roller cam, the stud-girdle was considered mandatory. Cheap insurance.

1981paul likes this.
  4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I almost consider it mandatory now for the higher efforts and endurance applications, mandatory if using aluminum heads, no question.

1981paul likes this.
  5. 1981paul

Worked on a few things while I was waiting on parts to come in. One was reducing the number of batteries in the car by half, and adding a fuse to the main power line running to the Holley Sniper. The Sniper has a fuse up at the unit, but I had nothing at the battery in the back of the car.

[​IMG]

With that all done up, I felt a little froggy and decided to install the "bad" alternator and try something. I hooked it up like I always have, but this time instead of relying on the body of the alternator to ground through the brackets, I added a ground strap I had laying around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I fired up the car, I just had battery voltage, like before. That is somewhat expected as the pulley setup on the motor is for circle track cars and needs some RPM. So I backed the car out of the garage, let it warm up, and then gave it a little rev. Just like that, voltage went up. Right around 3500 I saw 13.4v, so I'd say it's working.

Canceled my order for the new alternator, putting a few more bucks back in my pocket. Valve springs will be ordered once I get through to Comp Cams' tech support.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Seems your underdriving the alternator shaft too much, I would look at going with a smaller alt. pulley and maybe even a slightly larger crank pulley, better charging, and more water volume as well. JMO

1981paul likes this.
  7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Unsolicited advice, Isky answers their phones and their valve springs are at least on par with CompCams (I think better).

8. 1981paul

It's absolutely a consideration in the near term.

The get through was more on me. Yesterday was a freakin' day. I got ahold of Comp and they were great, and I was able to order everything but the retainers. They were out of anything that would work, and won't have anything until June. I called around to a bunch of small shops and managed to find someone in IL with a set on the shelf. They are on the way to me.

9. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I am running circle track stuff on my car which is more of a street car - I have two pulleys - one is really small and runs the alternator even at idle, the next size up will run it starting from about 1200rpm - which is just above idle. I am going to try that one for awhile and see how it does on the street. I don't drive the car in situations where I am sitting at idle in traffic for very long, and worst case I can blip the throttle to give it some charge. I have the idle set at 1100 so it's just below the cut-off, but on the street the carb sometimes runs a bit high anyway closer to 1300 so the alternator will run most of the time anyway. I do have a big electric fan and the fuel pump drawing quite a bit of juice at idle, but that's about it.

1981paul likes this.
  10. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    1981paul likes this.