Bearing/race question

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TX78Z28, Jun 25, 2006.

1. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

I'm replacing the front rotors and bearings. I have always knocked out the races from new rotors and replaced them with the races that come with the new bearings. I've always done this as I've felt the races that come with the bearings should be a better match for the bearings then the races that are installed in the rotors.

Are the bearing/race specs so tight, that this a waste of effort?

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I'd suggest knocking out the old races and replacing with the ones that come with the bearing. Very few bearings these days are even made in the US, and the tolerances of the stuff I've seen from the Orient really sucks. They can barely make one of their parts fit another of their parts made in the same factory, let alone make them fit something halfway around the world.

3. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

makes since. I knew there must be a good reason I've been doing it all these years, but since I'm inherently lazy I just wanted to make sure it was worth the effort! :confused: