Bellhousing Dowl Pins

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by badazz81z28, May 10, 2017.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm looking for longer dowel pins for my Engine swap and I need .621 and it seems they are all .625? What are you all using for LS engines?

Also...does anyone have opinions as to using off-set dowels? Is it the bell housings that are off or is it the blocks?

I remember my LS1 needing .007" off-sets with the TKO and swapping bell housings yielded me needing .014" for the T56...

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Have you Checked with the bell housing manufacturer. Or Scatter shield manufacturers like Lakewood.

3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

try robbmc

or call jody @ jody's tranmissions

4. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

"Also...does anyone have opinions as to using off-set dowels? Is it the bell housings that are off or is it the blocks?" It can be either. Doesn't really matter which one it is because each one is relative to the other. There is no reference point except the crankshaft centerline which as you know, needs to be as concentric as possible to the BH. The block can cause this misalignment or the BH, or both - doesn't matter really...

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

^^ Im being lazy...I'm swapping in my LS7 and I don't "want" to take the face of the T56 off again....which drives other maintenance....clutch hydraulics removal and bleeds, driveshaft removal etc...

6. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What's up with a .621" dowel pin? Is that the standard size in your block or is that what you measured?

7. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Summit has the .621 if that is what you need. list them for an LS. Competition Products has the offset ones as well.
    http://www.competitionproducts.com/Transmission-Dowels/products/1298/
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-1453658

8. Double J

Double J Veteran Member

For my swap I bought .625 .007 offset pins (standard chevy) and sanded them down, your only talking .004 to bring the one end to size it doesn't take long. There is a company that will sell you offset pins for an LS swap for 40 bucks, but that was more than I was willing to spend for such a minor modification. Everything worked great and I was able to dial in my bell to .002 overall.