Bellhousing

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by doublec, Aug 26, 2015.

1. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

I am going to do a TKO 600 conversion over the winter. American driveline sells an aluminum bell with their kit and could go with that or could pick one up at fall Carlisle this year.

Is any one model bell better than the other or would you just go with the one that comes with the kit?

2. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Get the new one with the kit. Don't go used. Hurst checks ALL of theirs prior to shipment to ensure they are within tolerence, don't know about APT. I checked 4 old bellhousings, and none would get me within spec. The one from Hurst was dead balls on out of the box.

3. JodysTrans

JodysTrans Veteran Member

TKO600?

4. JodysTrans

You can have the most precision made bellhousing and it WILL be out of alignment specs if your engine block crankshaft main caps were line bored.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I suggest a Quicktime bell/block plate

6. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Still debating Jody..went for a ride in a buddies car on Tuesday with the TKO600 and have to say I was really impressed with it.

Actually if the deal comes through I am working on it will not be an issue because the Camaro will be on its way to a new owner :)

7. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Thats correct! The alignment pins can be a bit "off" also.

8. JodysTrans

I have set up many QuickTime bellhousings and about 90% of them needed shims to correct the parallel alignment. The QuickTime bellhousing is a good piece and very tunnel friendly, but they are NOT perfect by any means.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Correct it to who's standard? Tremec does not require nor suggest you to check parallel nor does GM even check alignment at all. I agree that bellhousing alignment will ensure the transmission lives a long life and shifting performance is peak, but how much tolerance is in there to really matter? I have also said this before, what makes you think the defect isn't the block? Or if the transmission face is flat (which you don't check).

Bottom line is, I suggest a Quicktime because I value my floor board and my feet if a clutch or flywheel goes south and its better IMO to the Mcleod.

10. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I got the aluminum bellhousing from Silver Sport Transmissions. I just put my TKO600 in, and their bellhousing is a really nice piece. Did have to change dowel pins to align it, however that is a normal procedure.