Belt squealing issue.. Help!

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by bondora68, Nov 30, 2021.

1. bondora68

bondora68 Veteran Member

thumbnail_IMG_3482.jpg View attachment 130489 I put an LS1 from a 2004 Corvette in my 71 Camaro. I have Vintage Air AC with the compressor mounted up high. I had an issue with the belt slipping off until I realized that my power steering pulley was not seated completely. I fixed that and now the squealing is unbearable. I have replaced all tensioners, crank pulley, and PS pulley. I have not replaced the water pump yet or the alternator. How do I find what is causing the problem?

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Use a mechanics stethoscope to determine point of squeal. You can also take belt off and turn each component by hand, you should be able to feel some drag if it's making belt squeak. Also do a visual of the belt, running it out of alignment could have damaged it.

3. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

One way I've found to pinpoint the squeal is to get a spray bottle with water, wet each pulley and see which is the culprit. Sometimes you can take a wire brush to it with the engine idling and "dress" it some and stop the squeal.

biker and bondora68 like this.
  4. VandykeT/A

VandykeT/A Veteran Member

When I had my 04 Z06 the belt squeaked since day one after replacing everything on it I looked on the corvette forums and sure enough common problem and their fix was a goodyear gator back belt. I was skeptical but it never made another sound.

bondora68 likes this.
  5. Pierre74LT

Pierre74LT Member

May be the alignement is worste with the pulley fully seated

6. 73Z L92

73Z L92 Veteran Member

Give the belt a small shot of spray lube. If the noise goes away its the belt. I had the same problem as Vandyke T/A with a brand new belt. The gator back belt was the solution.

7. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

It is a Pulley alignment issue. I see it all the time, 6 micro v belts can make quite the scream.

8. streak

streak Member

First suspect would be the bearing from the pulley that wasn't seated fully, it was experiencing a side load and could have easily gotten trashed if you ran it that way. But any bearing or WP can squeal. Check the ribs on the belt. Stethescope is a good idea. Also try to use a straight edge to check belt and rib alignment. Had a warped balancer once, what a pain that was to trouble shoot. Kept flinging belts but looked fine at rest.

Just don't use belt dressing products, they cause more squeal than it solves in the long run as it induces slippage.

9. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Bar soap.

Zstar likes this.
  10. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Keep in mind that anything you spray, brush, or rub on the belt will only mask the problem, not fix it.