Berlinetta stripes and emblems

79Zee28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 6, 2008
Northern, NJ
Nice Car "a79Classic", I have a '79 Z28 in the same color and it is a all original. We ordered the car with no radio and when it was delivered, there was a black cover over that part of the dash. But I agree, there was no radio bezel used in '79.

BlueBaron762x39

Veteran Member
May 29, 2009
colorado
Well I've decided to keep the car badged as a Berlinetta, my main problem now is locating some gold pinstripes for it. They are a simple design that wraps around the windows and runs along the edge of the lower part of the car, but nobody seems to make a kit for it. Anyone have any ideas?

AKohler883

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2009
Reading, PA
Double gold pin stripes like that can be found at any local auto parts store.
Someone with some skill, and a bit of patience (armed with some good pictures) could replicate that stripe scheme in an afternoon.
Heck, I could do it ....

a79Classic

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Chief762x39 said:
Well I've decided to keep the car badged as a Berlinetta, my main problem now is locating some gold pinstripes for it. They are a simple design that wraps around the windows and runs along the edge of the lower part of the car, but nobody seems to make a kit for it. Anyone have any ideas?

As AKohler883 stated, you can recreate the stripes since finding a NOS stripe kid would be damn near impossible and to my knowledge not a single company makes one. There are a few places on the car that have the original stripe ends inside the jams. I can try and take a pic if you like or measure the thickness of each line if you want to be exact. Mine are hand painted on the car with metallic gold. I think your options would be have a custom set of vinyl stripes made (prolly stupid expensive to have done) or to have them painted on (also would cost a bit I'd guess). The least expensive route would probably be to get your basic thin/thick vinyl pinstripes and have it done that way. It all really depends on how exact you want to be.

If I can help with anything else let me know.. :cool:

BlueBaron762x39

Veteran Member
May 29, 2009
colorado
Thanks A79classic. A few remnants of mine still exist that I can probably measure. Your right that a stripe kit is impossible to find. I checked everywhere and they seem to not exist. I'm going to try to replicate it as best as I can with vinyl pinstripes. The car is not going to be an exact restoration, so as long as it looks simliar to the original that should be good enough. Doesn't seem like there are many berlinettas left anymore.

a79Classic

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
That's the main reason I left mine just as it is. I was going to add a rear spoiler and a few other things, but quickly realized the more I looked around, that there are VERY few orig. looking Berlinetta's. Having as much documentation and originality as it did I would have affected the value in my opinion. Don't get me wrong. I bought it to enjoy it, but have to admit that the value side of it does factor into it.

BlueBaron762x39

Veteran Member
May 29, 2009
colorado
If mine was as well preserved as yours I'd probably do the same as you. Mine is on its third engine, second transmission, been wrecked and repaired, so it's got a lot of replacement parts in it already. Most of the interior I'm unfortunately having to replace because the plastic is literally crumbling apart in some places (too much time deteriorating in the sun). Mine will look very similiar to it's original appearance, but I don't feel bad changing a few things (hood, spoiler, etc) since it's had so many pieces replaced already. It will still be badged a berlinetta with brown paint and gold pin stripes. It originally looked identical to yours (without power windows). I inherited it from my parents who bought it new in 1979.

KansasTwister

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 7, 2006
Lawrence, ks
my car was just about a virgin when i got her. Original interior, it had a trans put in (improperly rebuilt th350) and drivers side head had been off. Now its got a 4 speed. 3.42, and soon to have a 10.5:1 327, 4 speed and 4.10s.

T top car was pretty much rotted inside when i got her, so modifying her wasnt as hard.

kmmst52

Sep 19, 2010
Concord, NC
Dam I hope I can even get close to yours

Here a photos of the 1979 Berlinetta I just bought that someone was trying to make it look like a Z28.

60514_150510528322267_100000899630674_245358_2909818_n.jpg

60514_150510531655600_100000899630674_245359_4409184_n.jpg

60514_150510538322266_100000899630674_245361_3595140_n.jpg

BondoSpecial

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 20, 2004
Connecticut
That's the main reason I left mine just as it is. I was going to add a rear spoiler and a few other things, but quickly realized the more I looked around, that there are VERY few orig. looking Berlinetta's.

Good call on keeping the car a Berlinetta, it is way cooler to restore a Berlinetta as a Berlinetta than making yet another Z clone. It's not like late year Z's are even rare enough to clone them.