Best brake pad choice?

outlaw77LT

Mar 2, 2007
N.E.Alabama
What's the best choice compound Hawk brand for a street driven z28 with drilled and slotted rotors all the way around and the blazer rear disc conversion? I will be doing some hard braking sometimes playing around on curvey back roads. There is just too many compounds for me to know which is best for my application. Thanks

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Ceramics are awesome... If you have rotors which can tolerate the heat they can generate.
Stock rotors won't take it. (I found out the hard way several years ago.)
I would go with recommendations from the rotor supplier.

camaro73lt

Veteran Member
Feb 6, 2003
Hanover, PA
I've got the Hawk OES pads on my 73 and the dust is a problem for me. They will be coming off at the end of this season, if not earlier. I can't say much for improvement in braking either.

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
I have the Hawk ceramic street pads at all 4 corners on SSBC d and s rotors with Hydroboost. Stopping is never a problem!! Also, zero dust.

m pozzi

Staff member
Apr 9, 2002
Central California, USA
My recommendation is Hawk HP Plus as they're an excellent street pad that will be good for autocross and spirited driving. They're not the quietest pad but not the noisiest either. Light dust but they work great.

These are what I run almost all the time on my Camaro. If the car gets tracked, it's DTC-70's on the front and DTC-60's on the rear. Noisier than hell with tons of black brake dust but they will stop anytime, anywhere, and NOW!

Mary Pozzi

outlaw77LT

Mar 2, 2007
N.E.Alabama
Thanks for all the replies. I am using the SSBC Big Bite dimpled and slotted rotors I decided. I will look at all the recommended pads and decide tonight. We have a 27 mile long country road that follows a canyon across the top of the mountain like a roller coaster. Its a road that will show you where your car needs help on fast, one of those 1st and 2nd gear type layouts. The last time on it with stock brakes was disappointing.

Latest posts