best breather set up for 383 stroker motor

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by vintagecarenthusiast, Aug 22, 2019.

1. vintagecarenthusiast

vintagecarenthusiast Member

I put a fuel injected 383 stroker crate motor that I bought from Summit in my 71 Camaro. I'm getting a pretty heavy mist of oil out of the breathers. I had bought just regular chrome breathers when we put the motor in. I end up with a lot of the oil burning off the engine and exhaust and coming back into the cabin. Also, it is uncool to park your muscle car and have smoke coming out from underneath the hood. What is the best solution for a breather set up on a stroker motor? My mechanic ran a breather with a tube on the passenger side and ran it underneath the car so that the oil mist would not be on the engine. It's much improved but I'm still getting some oil mist and burning on the driver side. Should I just be running another breather with a tube on the driver's side or is the better overall solution for breathers on this motor?

2. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I run a regular PCV system on mine. I also run a +1 qt pan but don't add that additional qt to keep the oil level in the pan a little further away from that extra stroke. Do the covers you have have baffles inside?

3. vintagecarenthusiast

I'm 99% sure that they would have baffles in them. This is a brand-new crate motor from Summit. I bought that blueprint 420 hp/450 torque fuel injected 383. I say it's brand-new but I've actually put 987 miles on it so it's broken in. I had connected the breather to the fuel injection system but my mechanic said that was sucking the oil out way too fast so he ran it out of the back of the car. I just feel like there has to be a better solution for a brand-new motor

4. PBZ28

PBZ28 Veteran Member

I run a pcv for a 1969 Z28 ( lower vacuum high performance factory stock 302 )in one valve cover and a K&N style breather on the other side ( passenger side valve cover ) in my sbc 385 stroker. It does draw a little oil but not much. Maybe 4 ounces in 500 road miles and that includes what the engine itself may be using internally. No smoking and no oil leakage, at least on the top side lol.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I have a supercharged 377 small block .And I run a K & N breather and a PCV valve .With no issues

Attached Files:

6. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah - I would start with a conventional PVC valve setup before doing anything else.
    There are some more complex breather systems you can use, but they probably aren't needed

7. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Remember that Chevrolet this system for a very long time .Even with the muscle cars,

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

First off, make sure that the oil burning off isn't leaking from the valve covers and burning off on the headers/manifolds. With a new engine, a few heat cycles will loosen them up.

Definitely run a pcv. Check the location and type of the valve cover baffles. Enthusiastic lifters can pump oil past a cheap design.

I may be overthinking this, but in addition to baffled covers, I glued a baffled pcv grommet to the valve cover grommet to lift the pcv out of the valve cover and away from splashing oil. I also relocated it to the rear of the passenger side cover. This takes the pcv away from oil that rushes forward under the valve cover during deceleration, when vacuum is highest.
    Edit: I'm using this on a 450ish hp 383 that was definitely sucking oil up the pcv. Now uses none.

9. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

What do you mean by this?

10. vintagecarenthusiast

There are two vacuum ports on the back of my fast fuel injection system. I had a breather on the valve cover that had an internal PCV valve and it was hooked to a vacuum port. My mechanic told me it was using a lot of oil and he believed that the vacuum port was sucking it out. I'm wondering if the PCV valve in the breather could have been junk.
    Currently, I'm following pretty much everyone's recommendation to run a PCV valve. I called blueprint to get their recommendation. I'm waiting on a Chevy Performance PCV valve from Summit. I also bought Moroso PCV valve grommets with integral baffles and a new driver's side breather. I'll let you guys know my results. I appreciate the help.