Best cam

Weatherby

Jan 4, 2021
thanks everyone for there input.. will pass this info on to my builder.really nice to have a go to place with experienced people.im thinkin roller cam and something close to stock....thanks again.

Grumpy 427

Veteran Member
Apr 3, 2005
Regina Saskatchewan Canada
If you are going with stock type cam, don't waste the money on a roller setup. I have only lost one cam in 45 years, and that was a big comp hydraulic in a BBC.

Sadly a roller setup here in Canada is $1000.00 plus. But with all the BS of the motor oils, inconsistent tooling and pooty cam cores. A roller would most likely be the best way to go. Do yourself a favour, and put some lift in the engine, not sure if you need vacuum for power brakes or not? being a stick car, you can have unlimited stall speed with the clutch. lol

My 355 SBC was a 9.5-1 compression engine, reworked 882 truck heads, dual pattern comp cam hydraulic flat tappet. Engine builder secret. This was one of his crate engine packages he offered. Eddy EPS intake, holley 670 carb headers. Made 350 HP and 400 TQ. Had 25 degrees initial and 34 degrees total. Car ran great, had good vacuum for the power brakes and headlites. 80 Vette.

sandlapper

Veteran Member
Oct 9, 2020
SE CSA
If you do consider a roller cam, be advised how many rollers today in the low-$300 range are ground on a cast iron core. And. that cast iron core material is essentially the same core material which vast majority of flat tappet cams are made from. In the past, virtually All rollers were ground on a billet steel core; that's not so today.

Mike Sinkoski

Aug 19, 2018
Charles Town WV
I would go for the roller but cost does go up considerably, a modern LT1 hot cam or LT4 would work nice. If you go flat tappet you save some $ but a lot of folks are having trouble breaking in and maintaining them and risking a contaminated engine from wiping a lobe.

Weatherby

Jan 4, 2021
If you are going with stock type cam, don't waste the money on a roller setup. I have only lost one cam in 45 years, and that was a big comp hydraulic in a BBC.

Sadly a roller setup here in Canada is $1000.00 plus. But with all the BS of the motor oils, inconsistent tooling and pooty cam cores. A roller would most likely be the best way to go. Do yourself a favour, and put some lift in the engine, not sure if you need vacuum for power brakes or not? being a stick car, you can have unlimited stall speed with the clutch. lol

My 355 SBC was a 9.5-1 compression engine, reworked 882 truck heads, dual pattern comp cam hydraulic flat tappet. Engine builder secret. This was one of his crate engine packages he offered. Eddy EPS intake, holley 670 carb headers. Made 350 HP and 400 TQ. Had 25 degrees initial and 34 degrees total. Car ran great, had good vacuum for the power brakes and headlites. 80

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Just bought a Summit CT-109 circle track cam for my 406

.563 In lift with 1.5 rockers .600 with 1.6
.584 Ex 1.5 .622 with 1.6
259°
269° @ .050 duration on a 106 LCA. with 1.6 rockers I should make some more power over my Elgin cam. I think this cam will sound a little nasty.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada

Sadly a roller setup here in Canada is $1000.00 plus.

X2 on this ^^^^

And a 1K for a roller setup......man, you have good pricing out west....

My partner is dealing with a broken Crower solid roller lifter, set is toast, and that's almost 1k alone !!1

The better set going in is the Isky solids EZ/Red Zones, they are just under 2k !!! not even talking about the cam, solid 55mm.