Best cam

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
I wouldn't run solid rollers in a car like this. The Hyd Rollers are a little more sane/durable

The Isky 200265/272 kit is very similar to a factory cam profile of the era and will treat you well with everything you need for the conversion in 1 box (Cam, Lifters, Pushrods, Shims, Retainers, Springs, Lock Plate). It's about $1700 for the whole thing

pooch400

Feb 21, 2012
waterbury
Hi guys , looking for some advice on a cam choice . Rebuilding a 350 in my 73 lt/rs/z28 . Is a matching numbers car so trying to keep it fairly stock yet get as much performance as possible. Had it bored 30 over and have flat top je pistons for it , heads have been ported etc . Would a person stay stock cam or go roller cam . Car is m21 with 373 gears . thanks
I would recommend a custom camshaft from Ed Curtis. With the extra compression, cylinder head flow the engine can have a stock or close to stock idle, and make much more usable torque than an off the shelf camshaft. The extra money spent on the flow bench and the cam is well worth it. With those numbers and the rest of the information on the camshaft form, will give you a very responsive street car with top end. I went with solid flat tappet lifters and the Scorpion endurance rockers that fit under the stock valve covers with a thick gasket. You could do the same thing with hydraulic lifters. I hope this helps and good luck 🍀.
Hi guys , looking for some advice on a cam choice . Rebuilding a 350 in my 73 lt/rs/z28 . Is a matching numbers car so trying to keep it fairly stock yet get as much performance as possible. Had it bored 30 over and have flat top je pistons for it , heads have been ported etc . Would a person stay stock cam or go roller cam . Car is m21 with 373 gears . thanks

1320feet

Veteran Member
Oct 23, 2019
Calgary, Alberta.
Flat tappet cams are fine if you treat them like flat tappet cams. I use break in oil like G72Zed mentioned (Driven BR30) with light valve spring pressure with no more than 200lb. open. Or a 1.3 ratio rocker arms. I like Driven HR2 10W30 after break in. And change it often, like every 2000 miles or 6 months. I don't like it to idle for extended lengths of time, unless idle speed is above 1000 rpm (splash).

wped777

Aug 18, 2013
anchorage, ak
When I restored my 78 Z 30 years ago I wanted to retain the original look from the engine to the trunk. Since this was a numbers matching car I wanted to keep the engine in one piece. My engine builder went with an Isky 265 cam, bored .030 over, and 9.5 c/r pistons. The engine was balanced and that I think is the most important thing you can do on a engine build ( probably goes without saying). The engine runs like a sewing machine and will rev way past what I am comfortable with. Will bury the needle past 135 on the speedo with 3.73 gears.

Vettenick

Vettenick
Jul 17, 2019
The stock type L82 cam is pretty good and streetable. Just stay away from springs that have high pressure. What gears do you have?
I'd use the oem springs and cam if you can find them.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Flat tappet cams are fine if you treat them like flat tappet cams. I use break in oil like G72Zed mentioned (Driven BR30) with light valve spring pressure with no more than 200lb. open. Or a 1.3 ratio rocker arms. I like Driven HR2 10W30 after break in. And change it often, like every 2000 miles or 6 months. I don't like it to idle for extended lengths of time, unless idle speed is above 1000 rpm (splash).

Totally agree ^^^ The last 20 or so "602" SBC Crates this year have been broken in with Driven BR oil. Springs are in the 80/190 lbs range, so no need for weaker springs or lower ratio rockers. Ring pack break in is #1 priority...cam....no issues what so ever.....even after 1,000's of race miles over many race seasons....it's the pistons that give up, not the cam/lifters. Springs need changing on a regular basis.

The "602" cam reminds me of the old L82/151 cam, but...10* less intake duration with slightly less lift (.435) and on a 112.5 LSA vs the 114* of the L82/151.

But....who back in the day would of thought you can make a solid 400hp/440tq with only 9:1 CR through stock cast iron heads/cast piston/hyd FT cam with a small 1.94 intake valve and turn it 6,000 rpm all day/night long LOL. Love these little Crates

rhp454

Lifetime Gold Member
Gold Member
Mar 18, 2006
Up State NY
I have built several chevy street small blocks over the years. I currently have a 1971 Z28 350cu engine. It had solid lifters but did not want to keep readjusting the lifters all the time. I guess it depends on your budget, what kind of driver you are and what you will be doing with the car. If it is street driving, going to a few car shows etc this cam may be what you would like. Comp Cams 12-246-3. CS XE274H-10 This is a flat tappet hydraulic cam that also comes in a kit with lifters if you choose. 230/236 duration, .490 lift with 110 lobe separation. Great power from 1,800 to 6,000 rpms or more. It has a pretty flat line torque curve. Using the flat top piston, 9.75 compression ratio, 2.02/1.60 heads it ran on the dyno to around 400hp with 380lbs of torque. Uses pump gas and has a nice little chop at idle. It should carry around 15 inches of vacuum at idle. They also have it in a roller cam design as well. My car has 4:11 gears and a five speed tremeck.
Hope this helps out. Thanks,

rhp454

Lifetime Gold Member
Gold Member
Mar 18, 2006
Up State NY
From what you are telling us I would suggest a Comp Cams CS XE274H-10 230/236 .490 lift 110 lobe separation. 1,800 to 6,000 rpms, around 15 " of vacuum at idle, and more. Hydraulic flat tappet cam that should allow you to use Pump gas. A nice little choppy idle as well. I think it comes in a roller too. I hope that this helps out. You should be around 375-400 hp with a 370ft lb straight line torque curve.