Best Performance Brake Caliper?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by ratpatrol71z28, Nov 3, 2016.

1. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

What is the best performance Brake Caliper that will work with factory sized rotors and 15 inch wheels?
    I am looking to solve my brake problem and I hope ordering new calipers will solve my long dilemma... I would like to have something of course better than stock that will mate and complement the rear disc swap.
    I've been looking at the Wilwood D52 2 piston calipers for around $380 shipped with pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WILWOOD-D52...m3f0efdbce7:m:m-2JT32Vi6Je-m--N2YMm1g&vxp=mtr

I didn't want to jump to a conclusion until I know this is a good bang for my buck and hearing some two cents from my guys here on Nasty. What are your guys's suggestion and comments!? Thanks Cam Fam.

2. 71RS/SS396

71RS/SS396 Veteran Member

It would be helpful to post the problem you're trying to solve by ordering the D52 calipers.

3. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I did the D52 conversion and it was slightly better. The brake fade from aggressive driving is better too.

However, my best upgrade was going from rear drums to disc and a new master 4 way disc cylinder plus proportion valve.

So if you are trying to get better braking you need to do both.

If you want C5 braking then get a C5 kit because the D52 + rear swap is better but NOT the C5.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Under a 15" wheel? IMO you are better off with the stock caliper with it's larger piston area and a high quality pad, and also high quality shoes out back like porterfields

5. ratpatrol71z28

Bonzo what type of factory replacement caliper do you suggest? I am very skeptical with these aftermarket brands these days...

6. ratpatrol71z28

Well, I had done the rear disc conversion (answering part of Czizza's question) that is practically identical to the Right Stuff brand. I at least thought I was doing everything right by getting the 4 wheel disc p valve and master... Tried bleeding this thing in multiple ways, manual and power bleeding, but the braking doesn't feel like it wants to grab. If I apply full pressure to the pedal/ground the car will eventually come to a stop, but nothing that is instantaneous. The pedal feels somewhat stiff, but doesn't want to engage to stop. (I never had good stopping power with the old set up, but doing the swap it actually got worse.)

Now, that leaves two older parts left on the car.... So I switched out the 11 inch booster installed (2011) with a dual diaphragm 8 inch booster hoping too gain a more responsive pedal feel. That didn't seem to be the problem, now the last thing that is older on the car are the Wilwood GM II calipers (they have small bleeder screws that face downward, so when bleeding the car I mounted the upright so that the air would be bled out of them the right way.) Being that the calipers are the last thing not replaced and originally never having better braking then my full stock brake set up on the other Camaro makes me suspect the calipers could be the problem.

7. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It sounds to me like the there's an internal leak in the master cylinder

8. NOT A TA

NOT A TA Veteran Member

Sounds like you need to change the pedal ratio to something similar to what was used on the late 2nd gen birds with 4 wheel discs. The Right Stuff rear caliper is essentially the one used on those birds and the Caddys. Of course Master cylinder piston size also comes into play but has not been mentioned in this thread. This thread on a Firebird forum shows the modification pretty well.http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=31184.0

And as Bonzo mentioned the stock single piston calipers/rear drums with good pads is actually better with good pads/shoes when you want to stick with 15" wheels. I ran stock calipers/drums with Porterfield pads and custom Raybestos shoes made by Porterfield on road courses for years. I've also built cars for others with the Wilwood/Right Stuff combo you have including RS master & combo valve, the stock GM disc/drum set up performs better. The main reason most people will say the rear disc swap improves is because they replaced 40 YO junk that wasn't adjusted properly and didn't have good pads/shoes with new products, so of course it "seems" better but they're just comparing it to the crap they took off that one car.

9. ratpatrol71z28

Lowend, that what we have been originally thinking it could be... Being that it is brand new, I know those parts can be junk too! Is there a way it can be tested?

NOT A TA:
    Thank you for all that advice, I have to agree with you on how stock stuff has actually performed better (when it is all adjusted and not 40 years old) LOL. Thanks you and I will actually be looking into go in that route...

10. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Napa rebuilts work for me