Best quality Dashpad?

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by GREGS396, Apr 15, 2020.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From what I've read NPD is definitely the way to go. They've made some improvements since their 1st batch.

Just Dashes will do a good job making you a new dash pad but it will NOT look correct when compared to an original.. not even close.

2. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

I agree. The 2 OER dashes I have/had were of different quality, the 2nd currently in car looks good and I got it to fit properly after numerous in and out of the car exercises. But there are still a few small issues, which I have learned to live with. I was told there are several vendors producing them for OER so I assume that is where the quality discrepancy lies. The first OER dash urethane split in 2 places, not visible from driver or passenger seat but those splits though mostly out of sight were not going to heal themselves. It also looked bad to my eye and I was never satisfied with it's fit. I bought the 2nd OER dash maybe a month before NPD came out with their updated dash, boy was I pissed.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The other thing to bear in mind, that even the originals were not perfect car to car, the NPD one looks great, just hope I get it from box to car before it falls apart from age, HAA HA

flht99b likes this.
  4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I will be buying one sometime this year when I get to the interior, so good to know.

5. 69Outlaw

69Outlaw New Member

I'm in search of a pad as well. I see several places have them NPD, Camaro central, Legendary, ss396.com, etc.... I just wonder exactly how many different dashes are actually made and what brands these outlets are selling. The pricing seems to be all over the place. Anyone know?

6. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Buy from NPD. They make their own. Nobody else does.

7. 70RSZ28hugger

70RSZ28hugger Member

NPD is best one

8. Bradley's Building Junk

Bradley's Building Junk New Member

I bought the OER dash from Classic Industries. I had a terrible time getting it to fit and there were numerous minor modifications that I had to make in order to get it installed properly. It still sits a little "proud" from the metal portion of the dash. If I had to do it all again I would go NPD instead. I have some videos on YouTube if you want to see more of what I'm referring to. It's a lot of money to spend for you to not be sure. Bradley's Building Junk on YouTube.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    $ Mike 70 Z-28 likes this.
  9. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

For the NPD brand, (for my ‘79) which is better: urethane or vinyl? IIRC, the one that cost less (urethane) is considered better....

10. Bradley's Building Junk

Bradley's Building Junk New Member

I suppose it would depend on what type of restoration you are shooting for. The vinyl is more period correct I think but the urethane is supposed to be more durable. If it helps, the urethane ones do have the correct stitching patterns and seams that the OE ones did from factory. They are just "tooled" into the urethane for effect. Mine is urethane and honestly it looks pretty good to other folks....I'm just overly picky and have had too much time to investigate all the knit picky areas that I notice about it. 20200411_163246.jpg