Best Screwdriver Set

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by danbrennan, Oct 5, 2021.

1. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The Swiss screwdrivers seem good, but wow are they expensive. Ditto the German brands.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  2. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good one! I love that guy's channel. Some good tests.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good video and stress tests! :D
    Always fun to see someone destroy expensive tools in creative ways.
    (As long as they aren't my tools.)

I've found Absolut and Minute Maid makes a good screwdriver. ;)

I think I will stick with my Craftsman screwdrivers.
    If I wear one out or lose it... I can get an individual replacement.

If I need to use a hammer on a screwdriver, I'll use an impact driver that's made for the job.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Although spendy my Snap-on's have been my best screw drivers, but for every day use I still beat the crap out of my Craftsman's every day.

Z28PILOT likes this.
  5. MChamp

MChamp Veteran Member

yeah, craftsman screwdrivers makes a good circuit breaker finder too. mines got war scars to prove it.:oops:

Zstar likes this.
  6. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I disagree, a bunch of tests that in no real way simulate real use. I don't think in all my years at work or at home have I ever worn the tip off a screw driver or had on "fail" using it the correct way, swap meet cheapies of tool truck stuff.

Dave Nelson likes this.
  7. xten

xten Veteran Member

I think there are variants from blade to blade on the same brand. We have multiple sets of Snap-Ons, and there is one #2 that's probably 20 years old that is our "go-to. Blade never replaced, not worn. We have older and newer sets that have been broken or worn, replaced and nothing even comes close to the go-to one.

8. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

lol...yup my green handle snap on #2 with name rubbed off...edge of handle sanded down....THATS MY GUY!! MY flat blade #3 from the right in the drawer....MAC ..both 30 ish yrs old....used more than any other in the drawer..still have full bite on the tips. Had a friend once who used Craftsman tools MOST of the day...when one broke he would fuss and complain ...then get his snap on out to finish the job. "See my snap on stuff never breaks".... "yeah because you only use them 1% of the time.." Every tool WILL fail..eventually none fact!

Zstar likes this.
  9. biker

biker Veteran Member

I see your point and thought the same, especially the first test where he cuts them off to use in an impact driver. A hand tool would never see those kinds of stresses.
    However, when viewers request a screwdriver test and you have to come up with something entertaining and extreme, I guess that's what u do. And really, it does demonstrate which screwdriver uses the best grade metal. Even if those limits would never be reached by hand.

He does talk about the fit of the tip into the screw though, which definitely is relevant for someone who uses screwdrivers alot.

10. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I still have all my snap on screwdrivers I was buying in the 70’s-90’s , I d use em as chisels , punch’s, what ever job didn’t matter . The Snap On dudes , just replaced blades or whole thing as needed. Some of the handles and blades are 50 years old . I’m really ruff on screwdrivers ..LOL