best way to clean old bolts

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by giggity, Oct 15, 2020.

1. diablonut59

diablonut59 Member

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

thats what i started out doing, but kind of a PIA. So there have been a lot of other good alternatives mentioned here. Going to try a few to see what works best.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. diablonut59

diablonut59 Member

4. Cman

Cman New Member

I'll add my voice for EvapoRust. I see Harbor Freight now carries it. I bought a 3- gallon pail on Amazon with a parts basket inside.

I used to use the wire wheel method. Try the stuff- it works amazing. Soak the bolts overnight and they come out the next day with all rust completely gone. Non toxic and reusable.

All my skeptical friends are now believers.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. diablonut59

diablonut59 Member

Finally tried Muraitic Acid from Home Depot, etc. Be very careful and follow instructions on lable for safe handling. Only thing is it won't take off grease or paint, etc. After a couple hours soaking all the rust comes off, bolts, nuts, anything that will fit in container you use. Rinse it off with clean water. Soak an hour in vinegar since water flash rusts fast. I tried vinegar without the acid first and it don't seem to do much at all. Like I said follow safe handling instructions carefully.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. 70 1/2

70 1/2 Member

7. 70 1/2

70 1/2 Member

I also bought the caswell blackening kit, for me it only worked once with about 40 bolts, then it did not seem to work any more, it was like 70.00 ! I was not very happy with the results, they came out sort of a rusty flat black look, i am back to doing like you say here, blasting then sticking in cardboard, and thinning down some ppg DP40 black and spraying them, ( i would like any tips on how to sand blast them better, i have the cup with the holes, and the bolts just jump to the other side of the can, very frustrating!) Like someone else said yes you can just buy new bolts but i find it hard to beat the factory stuff with the nice big washer heads, nice thick washers, not to mention the correct lengths, I've found it hard to locate bolts in 1/4" increments, seems like its all in 1/2" increments

KingofThings likes this.
  8. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Grab it with vice grips and set it down one bolt at at time

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

ToolGuru.
    That’s fine if you can fund such things. I’m in an extreme budget situation and lucky to get anything done at all. Costs me a few pennies of electricity to clean them and literally no effort so that’ll be just fine for me.

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Forgot about this one. Done it before works. Gets 5 Ichiban Moto Stickers :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020