best way to tighten power steering belt?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by cordero51, Aug 17, 2018.

1. cordero51

cordero51 Member

i understand there are three bolts that hold the power steering, is there a correct order or a better way in in tightening them to make the belt tight as possible? as i have tried tightening the bolt thats behind the bracket near the header first but it slides down. currently the belt starts to squeal around 3000rpm and before i replaced it with a new one it would still squeal at around 4500rpm is this a common problem?

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I use a large Craftsman flat tip screwdriver .Then tighten down the adjustment and the rest of the bolt ,And then test the tension,If not do it again, I have use this method for years. I use Gates and or Goodyear belts. With my stock pulleys on my 1981 El Camino SS and when my 1979 Z-28 RS was stock.I could take it up to 5500 rpm.And when I put my Supercharged small block .I use a March deep grove pulley and bracket set up I can take it up to 6500 with no squealing.

Attached Files:

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

While somewhat of a common problem, it means something is wrong. Squealing belt can indicate they're loose, glazed/worn, pulleys are not aligned, or the wrong belt is being used. I've always had good luck with top cog belts. If you have a belt in front of the p/s belt, like an a/c belt, loosen the front one and tighten the rear first.

If you want to eliminate the pesky v-belt mess, go with a serpentine setup.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you sure the belt isn't riding too low in the groove...IWO, the pulley may be worn

5. cordero51

cordero51 Member

i just have the alternator belt in-front of it so should i first lossen that one before readjusting the tension? what would be the symptoms of a worn out pulley? the steering is a bit choppy when turning if its its in drive and sitting at 500 rpm idling at a stop

and i just bought a new belt so i dont think it would be glazed already im using a acdelco #15730

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Or the belt was made wrong.

Don't remember the brand but I had a new belt bottom out in the V pulley and squeal until I replaced it with a Gates belt.

John Wright likes this.
  7. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Or the belt is too narrow.

John Wright likes this.