Better looking?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Scott Sievers, Apr 10, 2020.

Who likes the early second gens more than the late second gen Camaros?

1. Early Second gen ALL THE WAY!

79.2%
  2. Late second gen RULES

20.8%
  1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

I always wondered if you were to get a new 80 (or so) Z28 with the four speed, swap on a set of the old fuelie heads, some big block 1.6 rocker arms on the basic stock engine, headers and some low restriction mufflers - would that be the best of both worlds.

2. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

Exactly... Camel humps were getting hard to find. but a set of stock 265 56cc heads, updated with 194 valves and massaged a bit to polish the runners... add a cam, headers, nicer intake and a holley. That would bump you over 300 hp.. most of us did it in steps.. it really sucked to have the money for the cam and heads, and then had to run the stock exhaust manifolds and intake with the quadrajet till you could save more money... Next option was the 283 64cc chambered heads.. they could be found at the local scrapyard easily, many times they got run with the smaller valves, going up in cam duration trying to compensate... The old Howards or Crane 310 that had right at a half inch lift would let you run the stock studs without having the cam yank them out, the longer duration and overlap made for a pretty nasty idle. Man those were the days... None of us could afford anything aftermarket back then, not that there was much choice... So we used what we had... The discovery that we could have 400 cranks turned down and put the crank and rods into a bored out 350 had us scrambling, searching for old impalas and wagons etc with the 400's in them... add in those 56cc heads and 310 cams... unfortunately the cast 400 cranks didn't like having their mains turned down so far... I wish I had all the money I spent on engines back then..

3. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

My wife had this '79 Z/28 for a long time. Sold it some years back to a guy in Canton, MI near Detroit. 350, 4-speed, posi, A/C, power locks, rear defrost, AM/FM. When we painted it we added the Harwood hood. She wanted no stripes.
    upload_2020-4-14_14-28-33.jpeg

4. Scott Sievers

Scott Sievers Veteran Member

Thats a nice looking car Smokey15!

5. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

I dislike the late 2nd gens so much I turned my '79 into an early 2nd gen. Thats how much.

[​IMG]

72BIGBLOCK and Oldcoons like this.
  6. DanSaco

DanSaco Member

I usually feel like I’m the only person in the world who feels this way, but I have always hated the RS split bumpers. Only thing worse imo is a fake split bumper, with the wrong parking lights. That drives me nuts. I like early second gen the best, but I was just getting into cars and buying Super Chevy magazine as a young teen when the 79-81 Z/28s were new and just so cool. I’d love a white one with blue Z/28 stripe package and a four speed.
    Hate the 74-77 with the big ugly truck bumpers.

steelfixer, 72BIGBLOCK and Glava like this.
  7. Steemo

Steemo New Member

Wow, Plant Engineer, you even went so far as to re-do the back window. That's commitment for ya!

8. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

Oh yeah, the only original parts on that car are the doors and roof.

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I like Camaros.

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  10. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I lived through the Tri5 era where only two door 55 to 57 hardtop were worth anything and post and four door cars were junk!

Then all of a sudden when two door hardtop became scarce and EXPENSIVE, the other models became popular.

My point is that certain models of certain vehicles will always be in higher demand and love/like models(ex: split bumper, big block, Z28, SS, RS) Camaros but there will always be a place for the plain vanilla an Berlinetta model Camaros.