BF Goodrich Radial TA Tire Pressure

cadillac_al

Veteran Member
Apr 22, 2015
Maine
It sounds like personal preference. If you like to feel every crack in the road (road feel) then pump them up hard. If you don't want to feel every crack you can let a little out like the Cadillac guys. I used to run my 255/60r15's at 26-28 or so. If I was on a track I would up the pressure.

berg2695

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2011
Remember that for a given car, contact patch size is roughly proportional to inflation pressure. More pressue- more responsiveness- but smaller contact patch size. Herb Adams wrote in his VSE catalog that solid control arm bushings produced about the same increase in impact harshness as a 5 psi increase in inflation pressure, for what it's worth.

19806.0Berlinetta

Dec 21, 2018
I've always ran 32-35 psi. That's where my local tire shop inflates them to when they balance them. I rotate them every oil change @ 4000 miles and don't notice any wear in the center which is where it would show if it were over inflated. I just bought a third gen a few weeks ago and they had 44 psi in all tires with a max rating of 35. I brought them down to 35.

FS87LT

Veteran Member
Apr 3, 2010
DFW, TX
The tire pressure decal is mainly for minimum tire size and minimum inflation pressure. As a guide for replacement and ensuring the tires have enough air to "carry the weight".

Use to be that the minumum inflation pressure, for properly-sized tires, was generally 24psi. Soft ride and soft handling. For speeds over 70mph, "add 4 psi", getting to 28psi. Using that guide, I then determined that for more neutral cornering, with the rear tires at 28psi, as the front end was heavier than the rear end, then more air needed to be in the front tires than the rear. So the result was 30/28 f/r tire pressuires, cold. This was with the old tire sizes, but also works for the newer P-metric sizes too. Steering response is tighter, too! End result is that the car should slide off the road sideways rather than front first (i.e., understeering) or rear first (i.e., oversteering). This orientation also equalizes tread wear, front to rear, too.

On my '77LT with Z/28 steel wheels, KONIs, WS-6 sway bars, and BFG Radial TAs P225/75R-15, I got over 90K miles per set for a few sets of tires.

Either 30/28 or 32/30 f/r tire pressures seems to be the best compromise to me. Keeping all of the tread on the ground, riding well, and steering/cornering great, too.

From my long term experiences,
FS87LT

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
32 lbs. cold, all the way around. Every tire on every vehicle I've ever owned or currently own. Never any issues with handling, ride, or wear. Check them once a month. Done.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
My car really likes 28 PSI in the Cooper Cobras.
After having several late model sets of Radial T/As , I can tell you the best thing for those tires is to set them out on the curb for Bulk Pick Up Day. They are truly....rough riding... terrible handling.... brown letters.. garbage.
full