BF Goodrich Radial TA vs Cooper Cobra Radial GT reviews

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by biggrass, Jan 13, 2021.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

2. DesmoEd

DesmoEd Veteran Member

Those Mastercraft tires are actually made by Cooper and they have good reviews.

Those Avons would be great if you were doing some type of vintage racing. A lot of the kit Cobra guys run 15 inch wheels although they are much wider, the Goodyear billboards are popular but are about the same at around $350 a tire

3. raimond

raimond New Member

My Ford Escape has Altimax RT43, and I'm happy so far. I have no complaints about their traction on dry pavement. Wet handling is good also, although they are a bit noisy. Treadlife is still yet to be determined since I just bought them 2 months ago from 4wheelonline.

berg2695 likes this.
  4. HOGDADDY

HOGDADDY Veteran Member

5. Ratty_81

Ratty_81 Member

6. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I have 4 BFG's on my Camaro, and 1 is this brownish color that everyone keeps talking about. i will agree all RWL will need cleaning to stay white, but if you clean all 4 of mine, the brown one never gets really white, and you can basically watch it turning brown again .
    Had i known exactly what tire size i was going to end up with, i would have bought coopers. Cooper didnt have the tire size i *thought* i was gonna use for the fronts.

7. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

This recipe works for brown letters/tires, others have used it with great results. I have no connection with these products. tire prep 2.jpg tire prep.jpg

8. hossz28

hossz28 Member

I have coopers on my 1980 Z28 After numerous burnouts there is no noticeable wear they seem to ride ok seemed to take more weight to balance than I would prefer. that being said In my opinion you cannot beat the looks of the radial T/A putting a 255/60/15 of both brands side by side the cooper appears narrower

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

+1 on this...I also use 320 grit sandpaper on a block on the RWL and that takes it back down to the white rubber....

10. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Update:
    Sunday night on the way back from Davie on the Turnpike I felt a vibration about 55-70 mph out of the drivers rear. It got really strange when we got off the Turnpike onto the blvd at 30-40 mph. I could actually hear that tire making a thumping noise. Mine are always inflated to 32psi and I checked it and all was well.

Forward to this morning.......I finally took the tire/wheel off the car and took it into my new favorite tire shop in Hollywood. They spun the thing and then took it off the rim and inside was a type of severe belt separation. They said well, "That's what happens when you drive on a flat tire. " Problem is, it was never even low on air, let alone flat. All the tires are the same size even the same mfg date code. ( We checked by calling my wife and she looked at the other 3 )

I didn't even flinch, and asked them to get me (4) Cooper Cobras GTs size 215 65 15. The still new Radial T/As on there now are 225 60 15 so they are very close to the same. I paid for them, and they'll put them on next week....like whenever I get there.

I wanted and liked the Radial T/As for I guess what I remember them to be. But they have changed and not for the better. BF Goodrich and I are done. ///////////////// Ken

Thank you DesmoEd and your post #32 in this thread.
    Your white car and the tires made it an easy choice for me.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    BonzoHansen likes this.