Big Block headers & Intake- Who's are best???

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by mmiler, Aug 10, 2009.

1. mmiler

mmiler Veteran Member

I'm installing a 468 big block in my 1970 camaro it has power steering & a Muncie, which headers should I use?
    Also which intake manifold will work so I can use my stock hood.

Thanks- New to the site

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

try searching the site.... hooker's are good, wiend stealth should work.

3. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'll put this here, it'll get more views by appropriate people.

Personally, I have Hedman Shorty headers on the 427, going into a 3" system. Maybe if I change them out to some long tubes I'll take the last .073 off and crack the 10s....

Intake is tough, depends on how high your engine sits. Some have gotten an Eddy Performer to work with a drop base air cleaner. Torker intakes, while not real great for power, they sit very low. The GM intake for '70 up, rec port BBC was very low and should clear. Most of us just cut the hole in the hood and put a cowl or something on it.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  4. mmiler

mmiler Veteran Member

Thanks for the info
    Now another question- is there a difference between big block motor mounts and small block mounts for my '70. Are big block mounts lower? Looked through the site couldnt find any info. I DON'T want to use solid mounts!

5. BlueCamaro

BlueCamaro Veteran Member

They used the same mounts for BBCs and SBCs in Camaros.

6. ZS10

^ I don't think that's right. There was a post someone made on all the different mounts that our cars used and there are a few in fact. Parts searches will often give different #s for different years. Early second BB cars had a shorter pedestal mount than the SB cars, iirc. 73 up had clam shell types.

7. ZS10

^ and that's not at all true either, lol

My 427 dropped on the 73 sb clam shells like it was meant to be, but a few guys have had nightmare experiences trying to get mounts and holes lined up doing engine swaps. Usually a 70-72 sb car, later or aftermarket mounts, and a BB will give some grief.

But there is a real easy way around it all. Just buy what ever mounts you want to use, set your engine in, let the trans crossmember and mount determine where it sits, (or put it where ever you want, mines set back 1" from stock), and mark and drill your own holes!

8. mmiler

mmiler Veteran Member

O.k. I'm still confused!
    My 1970 came with a 350/ m20 combo. motor is long gone so I'm putting a 468 in it that I have laying around. Do I need to find BB pedestals, are they actually shorter than the ones in the car now? Please help.

9. theflash

theflash Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do a search on motor mounts on this site, the answers are out there. I have posted pics and part #'s

I have a 71 and I did the sb to bb swap a couple years ago. The mounts are different, but the overall results are the same height. The sb uses short and wide motor mounts, where the bb will use the tall and narrow. However the frame mounts are the opposite respectively, so your overall height will come out the same. I spent $150 on frame and motor mounts to find this out.

Use what you've got.

10. 80'427

80'427 Veteran Member

I did a sbc to bbc swap using the clam shells my 80 had factory. Fell right in. Had to cut one "shell" to get the headers to fit but it was outlined in the header instructions.