Black 79 4speed z28

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by quentin80, Feb 4, 2019.

1. quentin80

quentin80 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I have gained a lot of inspiration and knowledge from this site. Appreciate it!
    I bought this car in 2000 for 1200 bucks, I rebuilt the engine and did some body work. I had some rips in the rubber nose that a local company said they could weld, strung me along for 3 months or so only to tell me they couldn't find anything to stick to it.

Couldn't get it to run quite right after rebuild, bumper fiasco killed motivation. I then moved out of state and left it parked at my ol mans property. Pretty much untouched since 2001, moved it a couple times, pops hit it with the snowplow.

This car kinda pissed me off every time I saw it, like a stain on my reputation, a little bit of a family joke. Last summer i got motivated and decided to throw on a new carb, it actually started and idled. Bought some new tires got em mounted and drove it home.

Car always sagged unevenly in back, so first thing was new leaf springs and shocks in rear. Floor rot under carpet was shockingly bad, in the rockers as well. Luckily frame seems solid. Finally got the floors all patched, new carpet installed, reupholstered the seats, dash and console cleaned, repainted and installed.

Anyways, looking forward to pulling the engine, checking it out, cleaning up the bay and installing the edelbrock top end kit I got sitting on the shelf. Also got the jegs house brand headers dual exhaust to install with it. I'll try to post some pics.

2. simso

simso Veteran Member

And it begins :)

Steve

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's the spirit , get her done!! HAA HA, Looks like a fun project,have fun!!

4. ZEN357

ZEN357 Veteran Member

Good Luck! Were all with you! It will look great when you get it done!

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Just think when you finally finish you will have a car that is better than stock .And the way you want it,No matter how long it take you I have a 1979 Z-28 myself .Along with the rest of of us can help you with any questions you may have .Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

6. quentin80

quentin80 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Right on, thanks guys. The car had an interesting 20 years before I got it. At some point it was involved in a wreck as the rear quarter has been replaced, and by the stamping on the axle tube it doesn't appear to be original. Stamped for 3.42 which apparently wasn't an option for a 79 z.

Also you might have noticed the whole dash was swapped out for a pre 79 version, kind of a hack job as a lot of the wiring is spliced and it was missing lots of screws etc. I actually like the look of the older one better, and it's in decent shape.

It's been 18 years since I rebuilt the engine, from what I recall the block was a 4 bolt out of a 69 car, that was .30 over which I had bored to .60. Wish I kept the paperwork but pretty sure I spent 700 bucks or so from a place out of Bakersfield ca for a rebuild kit with flat tops and an Rv cam. A couple more pics.

7. quentin80

quentin80 Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Well I pulled and dismantled the engine, didn't like what I found, it's obvious I didn't have it freshly bored twenty years ago, one cylinder had a couple pits and another one some scoring, so with the block already .060 over, I had to source a new block

8. quentin80

quentin80 Member

Seems like there's a million sbc blocks until u need one, Craigslist was coming up mt, machine shops were slow to get back to me, found one thru a race shop who got me in touch with his dad who had a freshly bored 73 .30 over two bolt with a crank, bearings plugs etc for 400.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. quentin80

quentin80 Member

I ended up not liking the crank and bought a new scat off amazon. Apparently two of my rods were no good so I bought a new used set from jamsi on eBay. Some summit flat tops. Jegs aluminum roller rockers and the whole edelbrock rpm top end, aluminum heads, cam, air gap manifold etc. bought a new water pump and alternator as well. Anyways that's about it so far, I just ordered an eBay front end bushing and ball joint rebuild kit, as well as a distributor off amazon.

Plan is now to clean up and rebuild the front end, paint the engine bay.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

Going back a few post, do you recall where you got your floors from? I'll be having to put new ones in mine at some point and was curious what you thought of the fit with yours